The Small Dog changes her coat…

By dawn I have the vacuum out,
By tea-time, its revolting,
I know the season’s on the change…
Because the dog is moulting.

She does this to me twice a year,
Though neither of us choose it,
She sheds her fur both high and low
And meanwhile, I just lose it.

There’s furballs rolling down the hall
And wafting through the air,
The bathroom’s coated with the stuff
Though she won’t go in there.

You wouldn’t think I clean at all
To see the furballs flying,
Though, honestly, I guarantee,
It’s not for want of trying.

I vac and sweep and use the mop
Or get down on my knees,
The small dog follows, shedding, says,
“It itches worse than fleas…”

She needs a decent grooming
But I’d have to run to catch her,
And with a dodgy back I know
At present, I can’t match her.

And so we wait for summer’s end
And for the moult to stop,
And though it isn’t any use
I sweep until I drop.

The small dog doesn’t care at all
Apart from getting itchy,
She seems to think when I complain
That I’m just being bitchy.

I tell her that for human-folk
That isn’t quite polite.
She scratches, looks me up and down
And says, “Then it’s just right.”

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to The Small Dog changes her coat…

1. Dyanna says:

Well, Sue, I sympathize and empathize because I have two Huskies and it seems that they shed all year but not quite at the same time. My male sheds August – September, My Female September -October and they start over in late March-May. It is good that we love our dogs and have reliable sweepers. I vacuum at least 3 times a day every day. So my sympathy is with you and the Small Dog.

2. This sounds familiar. I have a BIG dog (Newfoundland). From May through August, I sweep parts of the house several times a day.

3. Ritu says:

Hugs for both of you πŸ™ƒ

4. writershilpa says:

I had a Labrador, so I can so understand your plight, although he did not shed as much as your little one seems to be shedding.
    But, I really enjoyed reading the poem…very amusing! ❀ And, I feel sorry for your back, for I know how it feels, bending all day long, cleaning, sweeping dog hair that just keeps appearing all over again!

5. Sadje says:

Poor you and her! Tough times.

I miss having a doggy friend, but not when I remember the moulting! At least Merlin (our opinionated feline) keeps it down to a minimum!

7. V.M.Sang says:

I, too, miss having a dog, but lifestyle doesn’t permit it at the moment. But I don’t miss the hair!
    Amusing poem.

8. beth says:

she is so dramatic in all she does

9. Denis1950 says:

That last photo says it all Ani, bring it on

10. At least she’s cute πŸ™‚

11. Great last picture Sue, looks like she’s laughing!
    I know exactly where you’re coming from. Maggie throws her coat twice a year and I’m convinced we have another dog somewhere, yet she has no bald patches. One shake, and we’re back where we started!

12. Haha! Love this!

My two aren’t quite as bad as Ani is for moulting. Lilie hardly sheds at all, regardless of the time of year. Logan sheds a bit more than Lilie, but nothing like Ani is doing.

13. -Eugenia says:

Awww, look at that sweet face!

14. A yearly molt in most households with dogs, Sue. With my dogs, it’s all year long! *Sigh* I love the “laughing” photo at the end. A fun poem.

15. Alli Templeton says:

Brilliant! Great poem, Sue, and a great ending! With two cats now and in the past having had 11 of them at once, I know all about moulting! I’m sure Beowulf and Grendel moult all year round. Your poems about Ani always lift my day. πŸ™‚

16. Widdershins says:

If only they’d stand still long enough to vacuum them! πŸ™‚

17. The two Scotties don’t shed, though they do get really dirty and eventually matt. But the Duke? OMG. it’s hairball central!

18. You both are a beautiful team. One unthinkable without the other. ;-)) Best wishes, Michael

19. Jennie says:

Well said, Sue! ❀️

20. A great poem, Sue. Our cats are the same. They are malting now and there is hair everywhere.