Tenacity #midnighthaiku

I stopped the car, barely believing that the huge barn could still be standing. Perhaps its lace-like construction was too full of holes to offer any resistance to wind or time. Every imaginable scrap of wood and sheet metal had been used over the years to cover its skeleton with a patchwork of scars. Yet, it is still in use. Still serving its purpose, still being cared for.

Whether parsimony, necessity or love fuels the work, there is a beauty and tenacity in the ramshackle edifice. It reminds of the people I have known who stand against the buffeting of life. Their scars, whether they see it themselves or not, only add to their beauty.

This entry was posted in Photography, Poetry and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Tenacity #midnighthaiku

Determination over logic ❀

2. Violet Lentz says:

Oh, I love this!! I am a huge fan of old barns anyway, but this one takes the cake! Thanks for sharing Sue!

3. Hélène - Willow Poetry says:

Beautiful haiga Sue. That barn is something else, it sure is a strong symbol of hanging on despite it all.

4. This is quite a beautiful picture and it is a miracle that it is still standing. Seeing things from our ancestors that are still standing and functional adds a dimension of belief and strength to our everyday lives. Thanks for sharing!

5. Ennle Madresan says:

Oh Sue, I LOVE this so much–I’m rather a ramshackle edifice πŸ™‚

6. Alli Templeton says:

What a marvellous character of a barn! It’s like a feisty OAP. Reminds me of my grandmother, she was just like that – determined, energetic and intelligent and she never suffered fools. We used to call her (affectionately!) a battleaxe. This is a battleaxe barn. It’s got personality! Thanks for making me smile.

As another feisty OAP, I can identify with this wonderfully ramshackle old barb. These days, I have to keep away from strong winds!

8. Pingback: Determination | rivrvlogr

9. Jennie says:

I love this! True tenacity.