Gypsy

The winds of change blow
Refusal or denial
Sees no horizon

Field scabious…it is not a great name and harks back to the time when the plant was used to treat scabies and the bubonic plague… a tragic history for such a pretty flower. I love their soft, cushioned petals and have always grown them in my gardens for the bees and butterflies. My own garden is a little sparse at present, while life dithers about its future, but it is of no matter. When the fields and hedgerows are full of flowers, I have all the garden I need..

The other name for this flower is the gypsy rose. It is a vagabond, wandering the countryside and growing where it chooses. The breeze makes the stems dance, so I hold the flower steady for a photograph… and an opportunist seizes the moment to land.  Engaging with Nature is a two-way relationship.

This entry was posted in Photography, Poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Gypsy

1. Mary Smith says:

I didn’t know its name came from being used to treatscabie – nor did I know it is also called the gypsy rose. That’s a lovely name.

2. Henrietta Watson says:

Reblogged this on All About Writing and more.

3. I think if I were that flower I’d prefer Gypsy Rose….

4. Rae Longest says:

Oh my, what a moment. And you captured it!

5. That’s also a really huge bee! Are all your honey (bumble?) bees that big? Love the flower and the name, “Gypsy Rose,” sounds like a movie 🙂

Lovely bumble, and the flower… I won’t be calling it by its proper name anymore!

7. Widdershins says:

Clever bee. 🙂

8. That looks like a bumble bee. I love them. I read they’re actually too big to be able to fly but they do anyway. 🙂 — Suzanne

9. That is such a lovely flower and what a lovely opportunity for you having that bee landing on it! 🙂

10. speak766 says:

Beautiful pictures! Love the image of the bumblebee sitting right on top of the flower

11. Pingback: Haiku ~ a simple way | BlitzOfIdeas

12. Fascinating post, Sue.