Playing in the heather…

Until you come over the hill above Bakewell, there is no sign of it at all, but then, if you are lucky and the sun is out…and it is the right time of year… there is a dull streak of colour on the farthest horizon. It is at this point of my journey northwards that my face will break into the widest of smiles and my heart just sings. It takes another half an hour’s driving, with no lessening of that smile and an eager anticipation before the road climbs again and curves around a rock that towers above it… and then I am in heaven and heading for the first place to park.

It does not matter what has been on my mind, what worries or cares may have occupied my thoughts or what problems I may have to solve. It doesn’t matter how tired I am from the week or the drive, nor does it matter that I am supposed to be at my destination on time. A reply to my text about the heather elicits only an understanding ‘I take it you’ll be late then….‘ The only reason I wasn’t was that I had arrived with time to spare… time to find healing in the honey scented beauty of the heather for every possible ill.

This entry was posted in Photography and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Playing in the heather…

1. How pretty! I can see how this sight is such a stress reliever!

2. colinandray says:

This brought back memories of our (Peterborough) local woods where, for a short time each year, the floor would be carpeted in bluebells. Then there were the tulip fields in Lincs. I now need to go to our (Canada) East Coast when the lupines are flowering as they apparently grow wild and fill huge swathes of the earth with color. Who needs medications to lift one’s spirits when you have Mother Nature!

3. That is so beautiful!!!!! Thank you for sharing this!!!!!

4. Truly, it takes my breath away! Not to mention reminding me of every book I’ve read about the region and the moors and the heather.

5. tric says:

So well described I was there with you. This is very much how I feel when I pass through the mountains gap and view the village of allihies below.

6. Heather is a wonderful sight to find when hiking and located usually through the resonating hum of millions of bees enjoying the produce.. lovely images Sue.. xx

7. It does look absolutely gorgeous 🙂

8. Really beautiful. What a place to be able to get away into. I am jealous!

9. Sounds wonderful… Must be hard tearing yourself away sometimes…

10. Jennie says:

Mother Nature is a miracle worker.

11. Eliza Waters says:

I simply cannot imagine the magnitude of this beauty. It may even eclipse the bluebell woods… Truly breath-taking!

12. Henrietta Watson says:

Reblogged this on Blog Pad 2017.

13. Glancing at your beautiful pictures my heart sings too. 🙂

14. dgkaye says:

Absolutely gorgeous Sue. ❤

Glorious purple heather

16. macjam47 says:

Absolutely gorgeous, Sue! I have never seen so much heather, Around here, at best, we see only a few plants in someone’s garden.

17. Magnificent, Sue. 🙂 — Suzanne