Free day?

I had a whole day to myself! Let’s be clear,
I don’t often get one of those through the year
When I don’t have appointments and don’t need to drive
But can simply sit back and be glad I’m alive.

The workmen were coming, I knew they were due,
I’d still have to set the alarm, it was true,
But even so, hours of time lay ahead,
Once unwilling carcass was dragged from its bed.

By six I was sitting with coffee in hand
And thinking of pastimes I’d longed for and planned.
By seven, I’d hoovered, the dusting was done,
The laundry was drying… now time for some fun.

The workmen who’d said they would be there by eight,
Were absent instead and were awfully late.
They needed all day so it didn’t look good
I doubted they’d finish the job when they should.

They got on with working, the job was on track…
They sucked in their breath and said, “Have to come back…”
They couldn’t repair what had needed repairing
And packing their tools up, they left me despairing.

I eased my frustration by mowing the grass,
Then cleaned all the windows and polished the glass.
I’d already written for hours and then
I took the dog out and got writing again.

A crash from the bedroom then took my attention
The wardrobe, too old, had enough of suspension,
The rail had come off and had opened the door
With my nice, ironed clothes in a heap on the floor.

I sorted it out and went back to the screen
To pick up the emails where last I had been.
I wrote and I edited, proofed and re-read,
…Eleven at night and I’m feeling half dead.

The workmen will have to come back once again,
The thought of another day off hurts my brain!
I’m sort of unbalanced on ‘work, rest and play…’
I’m not sure I’ll cope with another free day!

this is me: snoopy rocks

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Free day?

1. Ritu says:

A productive day off, for different reasons, though!
    I pray for a day like that!

2. carasmelody says:

Freed yourself of some duties – until the next time…

3. Sadje says:

Seems you are addicted to working. No sitting and enjoying the free time for you!

That wasn’t a proper day off, in my opinion. Waiting for workmen is always a chore and they never manage to finish anything on time…

To be fair, their office had screwed up and, although I’d been told I would have to take the whole day off work, they weren’t here long (when tthey eventually turned up). So I do have another ‘day off’ to ‘look forward’ to ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. barbtaub says:

Just reading about your โ€œday offโ€ has me exhausted!

Isn’t it amazing how a “simple job” is never simple, a “days work” becomes two with an intake of breath? And why oh! why do we always have just one more piece of housework to do? …at least you didn’t have someone coming in and incredulously asking, “well what have you done today?”
    Lol the joys of being a woman… Though I suppose it’s the same for men too.๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ’œ

7. I love your poem, Sue, but, even workaholic me is struggling to understand how this constituted a free day in any way.

8. Well… At least you got caught up on some things, I guess… Sounds like most of my “free” days these days…

9. Know exactly what you mean Sue!

10. Mary Smith says:

You need a free day which does not involve workmen coming round. Just you and Ani ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Widdershins says:

Heh, not exactly ‘free’ eh? ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Eliza Waters says:

Hehe, you’re like the Energizer Bunny, I don’t think you could stop even if you could! ๐Ÿ˜‰

13. Alli Templeton says:

Poor you, that’s the kind of day off we can all do without! I love the way you can tell all your stories, trials and tribulations in such witty verse. Only you could do that with such style! ๐Ÿ™‚