Fragile

We glory in the beauty of the rose,

Its petals decked in hues both dark and bright

And pause, when summer’s zephyr softly blows,

To breathe its perfumed essence with delight.

For all too soon the petals gently fall

Yet memory remains that we may know

The erstwhile blessing of the fragrant pall

That melts into the earth as summer snow.

Each flower blooms for but a little while,

Ephemeral as every life must be,

Each life no longer than the shyest smile

Against the backdrop of eternity.

Why slay such beauty ere its day is done,

When, in its essence, all life flows from One.

Sonnet for Colleen’s poetry challenge.
A sonnet consists of fourteen lines of ten syllables, with a rhyme scheme (in English) of abab–cdcd–efef–gg.

This entry was posted in Photography, Poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Fragile

1. A really beautiful poem, Sue. You have outdone yourself.

Liked by 2 people

So beautifully written, Sue… I loved every line…

3. cyncoed says:

I agree, absolutely beautiful, it’s the first word that comes into your head after reading it, hence the similarity of comments!

4. judeitakali says:

This is an outstanding sonnet. I love sonnets, I wish they could be included in this challenge. This is beautiful

5. V.M.Sang says:

That is magnificent, Sue. Certainly one of your best, and it can compete with any the great poets have written, in my view. Shakespeare, eat your heart out. Here comes Sue.
    What is more, in my email notification, it comes up written like prose, but I could tell straight away it was a poem because ot its rhythm. (Unlike many these days that, when not in lines, you wouldn’t know they were poetry.)

That’s a compliment and a half, Viv!
      I do have a bit of a problem with some modern poetry. While free verse is fine, it still does need an internal rhythm and flow… it isn’t enough just to set out prose as if it is a poem. Having said that, sometimes it needs to be spoken by the poet in order to appreciate that rhythm.

• V.M.Sang says:

I’m glad to hear someone agrees with me about some of the new poems. It’s easier to do, of course, than wrestle with metre and rhyme! Typical of the modern world in my opinion–everything With as little effort as possible. 😛

I doubt if poetry is explored as much in childhood as it used to be. I grew up with poetry learned and recited by all generations. But I am glad to see so many embracing a form of creative expression that seems to surpass the logical mind, no matter how it is presented. 🙂

6. Sadje says:

Your poem is as beautiful as these roses.

7. This is truly beautiful Sue. I loved it.

8. Beautiful poem Sue.

9. memadtwo says:

Lovely Sue, and true. (K)

10. Beautiful, Sue… ❤ Sharing!

11. Wonderful penned, Sue! But always think on the “digging dog”. 😉 All the glory flows away, is there Ani*s digging play. 😉 Michael

12. Jennie says:

Lovely, Sue!

13. kittysverses says:

This is lovely, Sue. I’m glad I read it. 🙂

14. Wonderful sonnet Sue, lovely. 🙂

15. I wondered if you write a Sonnet, Sue. This is a form I’ve not mastered well, but you certainly have. I love the rhythm, your words, and the last line… my favorite sentiment! ❤