Music that means something – Day 4 – Kate Bush

I never liked Wuthering Heights. To be fair, the prejudice might be because I never really cared for the book either, though that might be considered sacrilege in some quarters.  Especially for a Yorkshire woman. But Kate Bush herself was fascinating. I remember seeing her the first time she performed the song on Top of the Pops…required viewing in those days… and she was amazing.

The first female singer-songwriter to reach the number one spot, she could well be said to have changed the face of music with that first incredible performance. Later songs I liked better, but when I moved to France, like many British artists, she fell off my radar and never really made it back.

Then, a couple of years ago we used her Nocturn for a meditation at a Silent Eye workshop… and I was hooked again. The music has matured with the woman, and reflects her own life experience and emotions. Among Angels is a beautiful piece of music… more an experience than a song. The lyrics are short, but so many of the lines strike a chord in the heart. The video animation comes with a tissue warning too…

“Among Angels”

Only you can do something about it.
There’s no-one there, my friend, any better.
I might know what you mean when you say you fall apart.
Aren’t we all the same? In and out of doubt.
I can see angels standing around you.
They shimmer like mirrors in Summer.
But you don’t know it.

(full lyrics here)

My thanks to Willow who included me in this challenge.

The rules of the challenge:

Post a song a day for five consecutive days.
Post what the lyrics mean to you.  (Optional)
Post the name of the song and a video.
Nominate 1 or 2 bloggers each day of the challenge.

Today, I’ll ask Hugh if he would care to join in 🙂

This entry was posted in Grief, Music and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Music that means something – Day 4 – Kate Bush

1. Kate Bush is a great singer, Sue. Super choice.

2. Ritu says:

What a great song!

3. Oh, my. That video…. beautiful way to complement the sensitive lyrics.

4. trentpmcd says:

It’s odd, but Kate Bush isn’t nearly as popular on this side of the pond. I like a lot of her music and have 3 or 4 CDs from the 70s/early 80s, but there are only a handful of people I know that have even heard of her… Great song.

5. I loved Wuthering Heights. It was such a refreshing song. Kate has a fabulous voice. Thank you for the beautiful lyrics and music. 😊

6. Anonymous says:

I remember Wuthering Heights in 1977 and that performance on TOTP. Totally amazing.
    Loved this too.

7. Thanks for nominating me, Sue. I’m going to have to decline I’m afraid, as I already have my weekly music feature running, which is only 15 weeks into its 51-week run and I’ve already declined another three nominations for this challenge. However, I’ll be giving you a mention for nominating me in this week’s post which will be going live shortly. I hope you don’t mind.

8. Pingback: 51 Weeks: 51 Songs From The Past: Week 15: Barry Manilow – Copacabana – Hugh's Views & News

Fabulous fabulous i adore Kate Bush she is Amazing!!

10. paulandruss says:

Always been a fan of Kate bush Sue thank you for the timely reminder of her wonderful career

11. dgkaye says:

Fabulous song choice Sue. Gave me goosebumps. I’d never heard that song. Did you notice how the trees in the video somehow resemble angel feathers? ❤

12. Funnily enough, I was toying with the idea of posting a Kate Bush song, but it would have been ‘Wuthering Heights!!’