Brinkmanship #midnighthaiku

Rising in silence
Spirit of sorrow and joy
Erasing the night

I watch the sun rise from my doorstep. Inside, the humdrum necessities await. Outside, the small dog explores the garden with the same excitement every morning. Birds sing, the weather, fair or foul, reveals itself and adds its definition to the possibilities to come. I am poised on the brink of belief.

I have a choice. I can face the day ahead with weariness, plodding through its demands, resentment building. I can accept the daily gauntlet of challenges. Or embrace them with open arms, knowing that what comes, must be. The dawn brings its own gifts. My daily task is to see them.

For Colleen’s anniversary challenge

This entry was posted in Photography, Poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Brinkmanship #midnighthaiku

1. Pingback: Brinkmanship midnight haiku – The Militant Negro™

A beautiful sunrise is always a good way to start the day. So much harder to do, when the dawn is grey and cloudy…

3. Reblogged this on Frank J. Tassone and commented:
    #Haiku Happenings #4: Sue Vincent’s latest #haibun!

4. Sue, your photo is spectacular. I stood right there next to you when I read the words of your Haibun. This is perfect prose and your Haiku accented your prose in the best way. Now, onward and upward I go into another day. ❤

5. macjam47 says:

A lovely poem, Sue. A sunrise as beautiful as that is worth getting up to see.

6. Widdershins says:

Those two trees, reaching to each other, (from the camera’s perspective) are reminiscent of that old painting by what’s’is’name in that church in Italy. 🙂

7. Jennie says:

This is perfect. The view and what we do dictates the outcome. I want to edit the words for teachers, because this is exactly what they face every day in the classroom. How they see is so important for them; how they greet children, do they really see them. Thank you, Sue!

8. Jennie says:

Reblogged this on A Teacher's Reflections and commented:
    I was struck with this beautiful writing, describing how we view the start of our day and the choices we make. “The dawn brings it’s own gifts. My daily task is to see them.” YES! I’m a teacher, and this is what I do every day. “Children bring their own gifts. My daily task is to see them.”

9. Jennie’s reblog brought me here to say…thanks for this, Sue!
    peace

10. Norah says:

That’s so beautiful, Sue, and a lovely reminder. Each day does bring its own gifts. Sometimes it can be a struggle to see them. But see them we must.

11. Pingback: Colleen’s Weekly Poetry Challenge No. 53 – MIST & SHAPE – ✨Colleen Chesebro✨The Fairy Whisperer ✨

12. merrildsmith says:

Beautiful poem and photo. I was just watching the day dawning here.

13. We are lucky to have such beauty to admire and start off our day 🙂

14. jazzytower says:

Very powerful Sue! Nicely done. Loved the whole thing.