Jewels

Fairy silhouettes
Skimming through the wildflowers
Against summer skies
A momentary magic
Gifting the eyes of a child

I have never seen as many dragonflies as I have this summer. From tiny turquoise damsels that cast a jewelled haze above the water, to stately beauties with stained-glass wings, they are everywhere. Each one, a gift…fairytale creatures whose wings sparkle with the rainbows of a thousand captured suns. They delight me.

This entry was posted in nature, Photography and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Jewels

1. Mary Smith says:

Lovely. I do like dragonflies. I write this after a walk in Glentrool Forest – a very wet walk at the start.
    Walk in Glentrool Forest
    Squelching a wet woodland trail
    a thousand tiny frogs
    underfoot.
    Clouds part, sun appears
    dragonflies on bog myrtle
    dry their wings.

I think I keep seeing them, but with my eyesight I can’t be sure!

3. I love dragon flies. I’m glad they’re visiting you this summer.

4. Jennie says:

Dragonflies are beautiful and seem magical. How can such a creature hover close enough to be touched? Nature is cyclical; some years the dragonflies are profuse, others not so much. The same holds true for most plants and animals, at least in my big backyard. This year we have majestic red tailed hawks and golden eagles. A few years ago it was dragonflies. I love Mother Nature. Each year brings something new and wonderful. Your dragonflies are beautiful!

5. Here in the Munich Botanical Garden too! It seems that there never before has been such a variety of dragonflies!

6. I have to say, these really are quite beautiful – from a distance! 🙂

7. dgkaye says:

How magical! And fortunate of you to be able to get such wonderful closeups of the dragonflies! ❤

8. Widdershins says:

Hm-m … we’ve had an uptick in dragons here on the west coast of Canada too … what aren’t they telling us. 🙂

9. jjspina says:

Ooh, I love seeing them too, Sue! I did a blog on Flowers and Dragonflies and featured a photo of one that landed on my fingers. I read that they can give you a nasty bite if they are threatened. Luckily for me I spoke to it softly saying how beautiful it was! LOL! 😘