Yesteryear

Fragile floral lace
Blushing with the hues of dawn
Delicate romance
Memories of yesteryear
Scatter faded confetti

There is something about hydrangeas that always trigger memories of childhood. Each cluster of flowers is a fairy bouquet that carries the past in its petals. The muted tones remind me of my great grandmother and her garden. She smelled of lavender and camphor and fed the hydrangeas outside the front door on tea-leaves.

As I touch the pale petals, I remember there were ferns beneath the hydrangeas. I am a child once more, wanting to collect their seeds at midsummer moonrise and make a wish. Fairy magic, said great grandma… but I was always asleep in the big mahogany bed when the moon rose.

The fragrance of heaven filled that garden. New mown grass and lilac, lily of the valley and deep, velvety roses, all overlaid with the warmth of fresh-baked bread and the tang of the coal fire in the range. If I could make a wish now, it would look like a garden.

This entry was posted in Memory, Photography, Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Yesteryear

Beautiful post, Sue… Where would we be without memories like these?

2. Lyn Horner says:

Sweet, lovely memories! I remember peonies and a big vegetable garden in my grandparents’ back yard in Minnesota. I loved visiting them in the small town where they lived. It was so quiet and slow-paced compared to city life in Minneapolis where we lived.

3. Susan Scott says:

Such a beautiful garden and memories! Was thrilled to smell the fragrance of jasmine in the air on my evening walk earlier and then to see it blossoming!

4. Mary Smith says:

Lovely, Sue. Fuschias do it for me – we had a huge fuschia hedge in our garden in Islay. They were beautiful ballerinas!

5. I love what you are doing here. Hope I may be able to join in now and again.

6. They’re in full bloom right now here in San Francisco. Beautiful photo, Sue.

7. Jennie says:

Oh my goodness, this is delightful. If adults could only recall their wonderful childhood memories, whether by a smell or a sound or looking at something like a flower, that would make a difference.

8. Rae Longest says:

Simply lovely flowers; simply lovely words.

9. Pingback: Yesteryear — Sue Vincent’s Daily Echo | Mundus Media Ink