Photo prompt – The stairway

I wrote a while ago about a book I loved as a child. It was, in many ways, both an early horror story and a tale of hope. When I took this picture, it reminded me of that book, Down the Snow Stairs by Alice Corkran. Imagination followed memory into the strange lands of which she had written and I found something magical in the image.

northagain 073

For this week’s photo prompt,  use the image to create a post on your own blog… poetry, prose, humour… by Wednesday 30th March and link back to this post with a pingback. The first few posts will feature on the blog during the week and all posts will be included in a round up on Thursday.

Feel free to use the photo in your post if you wish.

Have fun!

This entry was posted in Books, fantasy, fiction, photo prompt, Photography, Poetry, writing, writing prompt and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Photo prompt – The stairway

1. newsferret says:

In the About Sue I love this “Owned by the Small Dog.” Welcome to the club Sue, albeit here they are large dogs. Not even gone 48 hours and already I miss them.

Ani’s interpretation of her size is more of an emotional hook, I believe. She is small compared, say, to a great Dane… Setters are not exactly lap dogs, though she would disagree 😉

2. It really is a very haunting photo, Sue. I can see how it stirred memory and imagination. Hugs.

3. Beautiful and magical prompt, Sue. I’ll see if I can stir up the old imagination 🙂

4. Pingback: The Stairwell | But I Smile Anyway...

5. Pingback: The Stairway – Photo prompt challenge | Not Tomatoes

6. Pingback: Frozen Steps | stevetanham

7. Pingback: The Stairway | Myths of the Mirror

8. Pingback: The Stairway (abbreviated) | Not Tomatoes

9. Helen Jones says:

This is a gorgeous photo, Sue – it looks like Narnia 🙂 Right, will see if I can write something before the deadline this week!

10. My comment to the image in poetry:

Is it possible that, lost in thought,
    I failed to note the steep incline of
    the stairs after last night’s snowfall?

Or did I contemplate the meaning
    of last night’s nightmare dream when
    the ceiling light fixture fell on my head?

Oh, it was only a dream, right? Why
    then did I scream and shout out
    “help me” loudly to awaken both of us?

Reminding myself to be more careful
    in the future, I finally got upright and
    continued my morning jaunt in nature.

Loved the image very much.

Liked by 3 people

11. Pingback: …All because…? | Stuart France

12. Pingback: Photo Prompt – By The River | Journey To Ambeth

13. Pingback: Domestic Disaster – a short story | TanGental

14. KL Caley says:

Wow what a beautifully haunting photo Sue. Been away for a few days so running a little late on entering but will hopefully get an entry by tomorrow 🙂

15. Pingback: Photo prompt: The stairway – Jane Dougherty Writes

16. Pingback: Perpetual Summer | rivrvlogr

17. Pingback: Stairs Back to Cair Paravel | Faith Unlocked

18. Bastet says:

Very nice … an inspiration!

19. Pingback: Follow the Light – ladyleemanila

20. hi Sue 🙂 thanks for the prompt. Here’s a kyrielle from me ❤

21. Pingback: A walk in snow – haibun – March 30, 2016 | Walking With Bastet in Prose

22. Pingback: The Boy and The Wolf | new2writing

23. Wonderful writing and very inspiring, Sue 🙂

24. Erik says:

Sorry to have missed this one! I’ll try to keep an eye out for future prompts.

My first “real book” (i.e. novel) was one I read at the age of six: The Farthest Away Mountain by Lynne Reid Banks. A friend bought me a copy for a recent birthday, and I was hesitant to read it, afraid it wouldn’t seem as good to my adult mind, that it would alter the magical feeling of the images my child-mind held of it. However, much to the contrary, I enjoyed it just as much the second time!

Thanks for reviving the memory.

C.S.Lewis wrote that ‘a children’s story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children’s story in the slightest.’ I’m inclined to agree with him…and still read children’s books. I’m still the same child inside 🙂