Why did the sheep cross the road? – Writing prompt.

sheep Yorkshire

Not your usual pedestrian…

K.L. Caley from new2writing asked when the next photo prompt would be… I hadn’t thought to make it a regular feature, but thought that when I happened to stumble across a photo that tickled my fancy, I might put it up as a prompt. And then found this.

So, in 100 words or lessโ€ฆ what do you think is going on here?

Create a post on your own blog… poetry, prose, humour… by Wednesday 9th March and link back to this post with a pingback. Some posts will feature on the blog during the week and all posts will be included in a round up on Thursday.

Feel free to use the photo in your post if you wish.

This entry was posted in fiction, Photography, Poetry, writing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Why did the sheep cross the road? – Writing prompt.

1. KL Caley says:

Oooh – that is another good one!! Well done Sue! Think can have some fun with this. Looking forward to reading through your responses. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ KL

2. “Why did the chicken cross the road?”
    “To get to the other side.”

This little piece of American humor has never made any sense, but it always gets a laugh because for some weird reason, it is embedded as Americana. When I was working, my buddy at work was Russian (still is, actually). I programmed a chicken-crossing-the-road joke in a manual I was writing. Everyone was laughing while Sergei kept asking why this was funny. No one could explain it. It isn’t really funny, but it makes people laugh. Humor is local.

So now … is the sheep crossing the road going to be the British version of the classic American chicken joke? Because the only reason the sheep would cross the road is to … (tada) … get to the other side!

3. Eliza Waters says:

It’ll be fun to see what folks create with this one. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Pingback: Little Bo Peep – TheSheep’s View!ย  | But I Smile Anyway...

5. Pingback: WHY DID THE SHEEP CROSS THE ROAD? | SERENDIPITY

6. Pingback: Fleeing – The Juggling Cephalopod

7. Aileen says:

I had fun with this, and I finally managed to write something light-hearted, phew!

8. Reblogged this on SERENDIPITY and commented:
    Just for fun ๐Ÿ˜

9. TanGental says:

No one considers the sheep, do they? Itโ€™s all about Little Bo Peep.
    Letโ€™s look at that. โ€˜Littleโ€™, like Little John – a terrifying 6โ€™10 amazon. โ€˜Boโ€™ short for Boudicca. And Peep is a typo for Perp, wanted in several states.
    Ok Iโ€™m not the smartest mammal that boarded the Ark, but when a one-eyed beast with a taste for raw flesh and the strength of a Gorilla thatโ€™s been popping steroids, announces โ€˜Lunchtimeโ€™, youโ€™d โ€˜loseโ€™ yourself, wouldnโ€™t you?
    Sheโ€™s just a good PR team, dreaming up that rhyme. Theyโ€™re good. Look at what they did for squirrels.

10. Be careful. It could be your worst nightmare ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Pingback: Why Did the Sheep Cross the Road? | Eliza Waters

12. Pingback: Why did the sheep cross the road Writing Prompt – Ramblings of a Writer

13. “Why did the sheep cross the road?”

‘Cause the grass looked greener on the other side. ๐Ÿ™‚

14. Pingback: Shamanic Paths

15. Pingback: Why did the sheep cross the road? | new2writing

16. Pingback: Bo Dolly… | Stuart France

17. Pingback: Sheep | Hugh's Views & News

18. Pingback: The untold story of Mary and the lamb | cherrytales

19. macjam47 says:

Love the prompt, but I am terribly behind and didn’t get to write something; Perhaps I can get my act together for the next one.

20. reocochran says:

Sue, that sheep almost looks “footloose and fancy free!” Wish I felt this way, while I head to kitchen to get a cup of coffee! ๐Ÿ™‚