Hairy story

I liked my hair orange, it suited me well,

Suggestive of something ‘twixt pixie and Hell.

I grew it all out, hoping it had gone grey

But nope, it had left me with just the odd stray.

So now it’s much longer and curls where it will

And I’m not sure the frizziness quite fits the bill.

It could have cooperated and gone white –

But no, it just looks like a trick of the light.

So now I’m in a quandry, don’t know what to do…

Should I cut it all off or just dye it bright blue?

I am told that is ‘in’ as a fashion this spring

Or a buttercup yellow to give it some zing?

I could really rebel, keep it allΒ  au nature…

Refuse all the dyeing and just keep it pure.

Now that would be novel in this day and age

When colour screams out from each magazine page.

I can’t make my mind up, I have to confess,

But I feel, as it stands, that it’s looking a mess.

I could use a decision, or else on a whim

I’ll just dye it purple like mad Madam Mim.

This entry was posted in Humour, Poetry and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to Hairy story

1. reocochran says:

Sue, I cannot help but laugh at your humorous take on being a woman, growing out hair and it going all wrong! Your hair is amazing, with pretty auburn, “ginger” tones and body with curls. I would give up my thin, flat hair for yours in a millisecond! πŸ™‚

2. FlorenceT says:

Go dark… with your fair skin… mmmm πŸ˜‰

3. My granddaughter shows up with scissors and bleach. I just sit there and so okie dokie. So far, so good πŸ™‚ White really works well for me.

4. Ritu says:

Oh what a quandary!
    Sue I think you’d suit any colour!
    Love the poem! !!

5. Dye it white until it’s all gone white. You’ll look young! I was a dyed red when I decided to grow it out and let my white glow. The in-between was horrendous to cope with but as I’d been going white since my twenties, I knew it would work once I’d done gritting my teeth. πŸ™‚

6. adeleulnais says:

Purple definitely or indeed rebel and keep it natural. I`ve stopped dying mine at the moment, and am finding it a bit hard but my hair is natural black and straight as a poker so doesn`t take well to any dyes, or to curling.

7. Pingback: Mention in Dispatches – History, Poetry, Fantasy and Humour from fantastic bloggers | Smorgasbord – Variety is the spice of life

8. olganm says:

Go, go, go…!

I always fancied a turquoise streak, but Anita freaks out when I mention it. I like the colour in your picture, Sue, it really suits you!

10. I stopped coloring my hair in 2014, mostly out of curiosity to see what was under there. It’s a mixed bag of tricks, mostly light/white on the top, really, really black on the underside. My stylist thought I was dying it back there ??? The white/silver is very popular among young women, who request it at salons here. I get compliments all the time, but never from my contemporaries. Interesting ?? ☺

11. BunKaryudo says:

How about tartan check hair? That way, you could use all your favorite colors at the same time.

12. Running Elk says:

Well, that was a little disappointing… the title led me to believe you would be discussing feet… πŸ˜‰

13. Decisions, decisions. The downside of having options is making choices. For me, the growing out of old color was scarf-worthy. But once it was done, I was happy to go natural. No more fuss. πŸ™‚

14. dgkaye says:

I love the red. Speaking as one to another. πŸ™‚

15. Ali Isaac says:

You were meant to be a redhead! Go for it!

16. Toffee gold, what a lovely description!

17. That is an awesome poem! Gave me a giggle but, also, nicely rhymed and metered.
    Oh, please, dye it bright blue. πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™ And, um… Don’t diss the purple, my friend. You know (maybe you don’t but you do now) I have a bright purple streak in my hair. πŸ’œ

18. Widdershins says: