Blood moon

flowers moon 020If you stand in a field and look up, far from the lights of the city streets, there are a billion stars and a single great orb that appears to radiate a clear, white light. If you breathe in the silence, you begin to get some intimation of what our ancestors must have felt as they too looked up. The moon must have occupied their attention, especially when it appeared as large and bright in the sky as it did tonight.

moon 009We cannot know what they thought, but to watch the shadow cross its face, like the blinking of some great eye, can only have been both awe-inspiring and terrifying. To see it darken to the colour of blood, can only have been seen as a portent of great events. Yet I wonder if they, who knew the cycles of life and death and who would have early made the link between the rhythm of the moon and the mysterious cycle of womankind, would have seen the blood moon as a fearful thing… a harbinger of misfortune… or whether they might have seen it as the gift of the goddess and a blessing, rather than the curse we imagine. We will never know.

blood moon 010

This entry was posted in Goddess, Photography and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Blood moon

1. Excellent post and photography!

2. However they thought, I do not think they were all in agreement, even in the same culture. πŸ™‚ Beautiful, magical night isn’t it.

3. Reblogged this on Barrow Blogs: and commented:
    We watched!

4. Did you manage to photograph these, Suie?

5. Sorry, ‘Sue’ – bit bog-eyed!

6. Thanks for this – I couldn’t go to sleep last night and then slept through it 😦
    Great pics ❀

I was glad we had the clear skie. I may…if ‘m lucky… be around fo the next one, but I can’t see me wandering the lanes to get a decent shot πŸ™‚ Having said that… maybe I will be that strange old lady πŸ˜€

7. That’s what I did I went into a field in a place where I usually go hike and there in the dark we were able to see the beautiful moon also if at first there were clouds but slowly we were able to see the eclipse what a awesome event! After when the moon turned super bright it created a reddish circle around like an aura so beautiful to see it! πŸ™‚

No luck in our neck of the woods, not many clouds about but I think our moon was not the one eclipsing. Looked very ordinary, no matter how long we stayed up. So, grateful for these pictures, Sue…

9. Pingback: BloodΒ moon | oshriradhekrishnabole

10. Ali Isaac says:

I knew you would have some great pictures! I missd the actual event itself, sadly, just couldnt stay awake, so I’m really happy to see your pictures. As ancient man was far more knowledgeable and sophisticated than qe give him credit for, I’m doubtful he would have been unduly alarmed.

11. You got some beautiful photos Sue, Thanks so much for sharing πŸ™‚

12. I love the perspective of our ancestors!

13. Glee Sparkle says:

Wow…amazing pictures….
    ☺☺☺☺
    Keep smiling,
    -glee sparkleπŸ’–πŸ’–

14. Eliza Waters says:

My spouse, who loves history, stood musing on the very same thing as he looked up at the eclipse. What the ancients must have thought. I was amazed at how dark it got at full eclipse. If I was not informed, I might have been a tad worried!

15. macjam47 says:

Gorgeous photos. We have scientific explanations for such, but I too, wonder what the ancients thought.

16. Wow…gorgeous! It was too cloudy to see it here in Missouri 😦 but you sure captured the beauty and sentiments!

17. noelleg44 says:

Thank heavens there are some posts showing pictures of the blood moon – it was overcast here and we saw nothing!