Worlds unfolding

Every time we pick up a pen or lay our fingers on the keys to write, we engage in a process of which much is written, but I wonder how much is really known? We know there is a process… even the most prosaic business letter will have a certain amount of thought and consideration poured into the words in order to elicit the desired effect. How much more so with creative writing?

Thinking it through it seems, like so many other things, to be based on a threefold foundation. There has to be the inspiration that leads to the spark of an idea, then a discussion, either with another person or an internal debate that takes that naked spark and clothes it in imagination; then finally we take action… and from that combination, a phrase is born, taking the insubstantial realm of mind and bringing something new into the world.

You might say that before the words become a concrete reality on the page, their essence has to be conceived, brooded and nurtured in the fastness of the mind in order to become the coherent ideas that emerge as phrases. They come from the formless well of imagination and filter through the muddy layers of mundane thought before they reach the light of day where, if we are lucky, they flower.

We may glean the raw material of an idea whilst watching TV or in conversation, but it is seldom that we can bring them to the page directly and without giving them chance to percolate through the layers of consciousness and emotion, adding something unique and personal, the final ingredient that makes an idea our own.

It is more often in the quiet times, when thought is allowed to roam, that we hear that first little spark of an idea. It may be while our bodies are engaged in some routine task… like ironing or walking… or for many it is the night when ideas flit like ghosts around the landscape of the mind. Either way, it seems that some form of inner stillness is required for us to be best able to listen to the promptings of the imagination. An almost meditative state.

In a world that constantly clamours for our attention, where even our homes are full of beeps and whirrs at an almost subliminal level, there is a greater need than ever to simply switch off for a while and just listen to the wonders born of a seemingly quiet mind and heart.

moon 001

Colleen’s Writer’s Quote Wednesday and Ronovan’s BeWow

This entry was posted in fantasy, Photography, Spirituality, writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Worlds unfolding

1. Truer words were never written.

2. We, writers are like that – all of us has a mind that never stop like clockwork.
    Even in sleep we think. 🙂

3. Susan Scott says:

slow down, let the silence speak .. lovely post Sue thank you ..

4. Solveig says:

I think it was Beethoven, not sure though, who said that on the days on which he decided to do nothing , think of nothing and stay in bed, he would jump up with a great composition in his head and would write it down in his nightgown. The absence of though is sometimes an instant filled with inspiration and might fuel productivity. I think the longing to produce something, is actually what can make us stall.

I seek this silence constantly, the only time my mind feels like my own…

6. Mary Smith says:

Lovely, Sue, and so true.

7. As a poet, I can so relate to this, Sue. You captured the essence of it; the evolution of the inspiration, the words, the phrases and, if all falls into place, the completed piece.

Nicely done.

8. Inner stillness…the goal. Such an inspired piece of writing, Sue. ❤️ Thank you.

9. So true, it’s one of the reasons I love sitting silently watching the sunrise over the ocean.

10. Helen Jones says:

Lovely post, Sue – that quote at the end is exactly how I’m feeling at the moment…

11. Sue, I love the words you write and how they flow. I am a slow writer. I have to mull the words over and reread a few times before I know that is what I want to say, Other times, the words just pour out of me with no rhyme or reason. I love your quote! Well done! ❤

12. dgkaye says:

Gorgeous prose. 🙂

13. Lovely quote, Sue, and for me, your words ring true. The spark of inspiration and the time to percolate through the layers needs space, stillness and silence to grow.

14. Eliza Waters says:

Indeed, “stillness speaks.”

15. I completely agree, although Ironing (which is where most my short stories come to life) is not what I am thinking of. I believe that for us writers it is difficult to completely turn off. Even when having a conversation there is always that little thought at the back of my mind that is looking for a writing idea.

16. Pingback: #Writer’s Quote Wednesday & #BeWoW – The Weekly Wrap-Up from 11/25/15 | Silver Threading