Irony…?

Wales 054

I want to have a cold tonight

And if you think I’m mad,

I have a real good reason…

The alternative’s too bad.

My head is really aching

And my eyes are awful sore,

The box of tissue’s empty

And I haven’t any more.

I’ve taken antihistamines

Because I thought I should

But even double dosage

Hasn’t done a lot of good.

I’ve checked the first aid cupboard

And there’s nothing useful in it.

I’m feeling pretty miserable

And sneezing every minute.

My nose is sore and tickling

It drives me up the wall…

So why would anybody

Want to have a cold at all?

I’ve just moved to a rural place

Surrounded all in green

With fields and grass and wildflowers

As pretty as I’ve seen.

And, as my nose is just as damp

As that of a retriever…

If I don’t have a proper cold…

It has to be hayfever.

This entry was posted in Humour, Photography, Poetry and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to Irony…?

1. ghostmmnc says:

I like your poem, but am sorry that you have the hay fever!

2. Ritu says:

I feel your pain Sue!!!

3. ellenbest24 says:

Oh NO! A virus it could be a virus… gret poem though😇

4. Oh Sue, I hope you’re not permanently going to suffer.

5. A thin layer of vaseline just inside your nostrils will catch the pollen before it reaches your sensitive hairs in the nose particularly before you go outside…. if you have some chamomile tea then drink three cups a day with a teaspoon of honey – local honey will desensitise you to the local pollens. Also drink hot lemon with honey as the lemon will give you a Vitamin C boost. An onion a day with every meal and garlic too if you can take it as it too helps with hayfever. If it is a cold all of the above will ease the symptoms.But the vaseline does work well. xx

Liked by 2 people

I shall follow your advice, Sally. Funnily enough, after decades of not even being able to stomach the smell of honey, I have been craving the stuff lately. I do think the body usually knows what we need if we listen. xx

6. Oh and change you pillowcase every day as your hair collects pollen and you then rub your face in it all night! xx

7. merrildsmith says:

Hope you feel better soon!

8. Great poem, and I totally get it. ☺

9. reocochran says:

I hope you do have a cold because allergies are forever! I have friends who never had allergies (like hay fever) and have developed them after fifty years old. I am hoping you will be over this soon and not a reoccurring event. 😦 hugs, Robin

10. Oh no. The price of bucolic beauty, Sue. You will adjust. Drink lots of local honey in your tea.

11. Mary Smith says:

I hope it’s a cold. I’ve never had hay fever but this summer for the first time ever I’ve been constantly blowing my nose and someone said it might be hay fever. Apparently it can develop even if you;ve never had it before. I’m not as bad as you and other than the irritation of having to blow my nose many times a day I’ve not had any other symptoms. Maybe the pollen count has been unusually high this year?

I’ve never had it either, Mary, and don’t intend to start now, whatever my nose and eyes may think. It really would be unfortunate with all the fields… If the rapeseed was in flower, I could understand it.

12. Poor thing! About the cold/hayvfever (hopeful cold), but congrats on the move. 🙂 Wonderful and funny poem!!

13. If you never had hay-fever before you moved, I hate to say it, but, there may be something pollinating near your new place that you haven’t come across before. I usually have to have a steroid/cortisone shot whenever I go over to England! Good luck and great poem!

14. We live in an oak woods with three dogs. Antihistimines are us.

I take the things every day anyway for the ‘itchies’ that started with the stress of Nick’s attack and never left. Hayfever I do not have. Or I’d better not… never have before!

15. Eliza Waters says:

Great little ditty, Sue. Sorry your allergies are making you miserable!

16. It’s funny, allergies. I am now allergic to things I was never allergic to and I’m no longer allergic to things I once was allergic to. I don’t get it. My grandmother ate strawberries all her life. At eighty-five years old, she suddenly became very allergic to them. I think our body chemistry changes over time.

It does, and allergies are aquired. I used to have a fabulous collection of earrings… then became allergic to most metals except gold and silver. Which doesn’t sound much until you consider bras, fasteners and medical use.

17. Susan Scott says:

Lots of advise in comments below Sue😄 Lovely lament, hope you get better soon

18. barbtaub says:

I’ve tried everything here, and none of it works. So now anybody coming from the States gets a simple plea from me: Allegra D!!!!!

19. my hay fever developed late in life – but I’ll never retreat from the countryside

I can sympathise, Sue. It has recently been suggested that at the ripe old age of 72, I have developed hayfever. You couldn’t make it up, could you?
    Hopefully, you haven’t…

21. Judy Martin says:

Oh No! I feel for you Sue. My daughter gets hayfever and it seems pretty miserable 😦

22. dgkaye says:

Very clever poem Sue. Sorry to hear about your ‘erm, hayfever. 🙂

23. Widdershins says:

Blergh!!! I hate hay fever. I feel like I want to rip my face off and wring it out. I hope whatever it is passes really quickly.

24. Éilis Niamh says:

Ouch! I was lucky when I got attacked by allergies in Ireland, Zyrtec actually helped. Made me a bit drowsy, but nothing that some guinness couldn’t fix. 🙂 Hope things have settled down a bit!

I’m hopeful it was just a cold as Nick had the same thing and lives five miles away… but I see him every day, so we generally catch the same viruses. 🙂

25. breadomlette says:

I like it….
    Visit to my blog and give your valuable comments and likes…