A dog’s dinner

revelation3 024

We had porridge for dinner, the small dog and I,

She likes it with cream on, I wouldn’t know why..

She’d already eaten, but doing her duty,

Protecting my waistline and small claim to beauty,

She thought she’d be helpful and have second helpings

Distracting me nicely with wagging and yelping,

And soon as my back was turned dinner was eaten,

I’m fast, but a hungry small dog can’t be beaten.

She polished her own off and while I did dishes

It seems that a fairy came, giving her wishes

I had left my dinner in reach, it is true,

(An obvious failing, between me and you)

The ham disappeared without leaving a trace

Except for the  grin upon one small dog’s face

And so we had porridge, the doglet and I,

I can’t say I fancied it, heaven knows why,

And then when I left it, you wouldn’t believe it,

The small dog sneaked up and decided to thieve it.

It’s my own fault, I know, a fact I can’t ignore,

While she’s fast asleep, all curled up on the floor.

This entry was posted in Dogs, Life, Love and Laughter, Poetry and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to A dog’s dinner

1. Running Elk says:

It’s a dog eat everything world… 😉

2. Val Mills says:

Reminds me so much of the dear old golden lab who once was the most important and well fed member of our family 🙂

3. Brilliant! I really love everything about this poem! Makes me miss my dogs even more!

4. theINFP says:

Gorgeous, Sue 🙂

5. dulzimordash says:

Reblogged this on Spontaneous Creativity.

6. ioniamartin says:

My own dogs, they are cheering right now!

7. TamrahJo says:

I once left a pound of bacon on the counter, 4 feet up and 2 feet across and our yellow lab grabbed it and wolfed it down while my back was turned, answering the phone – –

I’m pleased to announce my current companion is such a lady, she will not strain herself, nor dirty a paw to raid the unattended….

LOL

Molly and Echo were the worst… they worked in tandem with distraction techniques. They were, oddly, particularly fond of helping themselves to my son’s unattended beer.

Ani does have manners.. honest… she won’t help herself to anything on the counter. The fridge, if left open and my back turned, is fair game, though… and once something is on a plate, she sees it is mine and will just kidnap it given chance.

I’m not sure what that says about our relationship….. 😉

• TamrahJo says:

One that is so close and loving, fear of brutal punishment for stealing the muffin is never even thought of … 😀

My brother recently ended up with a dog that is no taller than 2 feet, but can leap in one bound onto his cafe style bar table (4 ft high) and clean it up fast – –

She also recently jumped up onto the back of a tractor (big one) and wolfed down one worker’s lunch –

He has some new jumping/eating story every week and ends it with, “Guess Fergie is my punishment for never having kids.”

😀

*chuckles* That’s one way of looking at it 🙂

No, this little one knows I’ll just end up laughing at her… she has the most expressive face of any dog I have ever known… and makes the most of it too.

8. Leisa says:

Your gorgeous dog is so like my dog Blue to look at…twins..and twins in the stomach to it seems, I catch Blue sneaking into the hen house to steal eggs. I caught her the other day..she tried to look all sweet and innocent, but she had a chook feather on her nose lol..p.s. she doesn’t eat the hens..just steals their eggs

9. just delightful

10. WyndyDee says:

Reblogged this on Wyndy Dee and commented:
    Love it! A dog who likes porridge is a keeper! ❤

11. I got a little doggie i mean eats anything lol great write

12. So cute. Ani reminds me of my Cocker Spaniel, Rusty, who would eat ANYTHING – fried onion sandwiches, oatmeal, you name it. He would be so full. Yet, if you tried to take away the remaining oatmeal in a pan, he’d be protective of it and growl. Dogs are crazy, but fun!