Māyā

living wood1

Do I cease to exist if I am not seen,

Like a tree in a forest that makes no sound

Unless it is heard when it falls?

Do I exist in the mirror when I look,

An illusory glimpse into a framed reality

That is not real?

Viewer or image, who can say

Where reality resides

Or if we are but dreaming?

Is my life a mere illusion of the soul

Or perhaps a whispered image

In the mind of God?

Or is illusion’s self the fount,

Imagined solidity

Becoming real with every heartbeat?

If I am forgotten, was I ever there?

Did I leave my trace upon a world

Whose reality I question

Or was I just a zephyr

In the cosmic night

Whispered to the stars

By voiceless lips…

Or did I touch your heart?

living stone

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Māyā

This is so beautiful Sue somehow it describes how I feel at the moment, a not knowing my path.
    Are the illustrations yours?💜

2. besonian says:

That’s especially beautiful, Sue – the drawings as well. You have a lot of talent. And re your first line – “Do I exist if I am not seen?” Don’t know if you know the famous story re Einstein and Nils Bohr. They are reputed one night to have been having that same sort of conversation whilst sitting and looking up at the moon. Einstein is reputed to have pointed to the moon and said, “So are we really saying that if we weren’t sitting here looking at it, it wouldn’t exist?” To which Bohr is reputed to have replied, “How would you prove it is?” In other words – you can’t.

Thank you, Jeff. So much of what we believe we know must be taken on trust… and our lives lived ‘as if’.
      I doubt if the answers to any of these questions matter as much as the asking of them.

• besonian says:

I think the answer to that one matters Sue. What Bohr seems to be implying is that the reason you can’t prove it’s existence outside of your consciousness is almost certainly because outside of your, or someone’s consciousness, it has no existence. Which points towards the unity of all things; the oneness you and I have spoken about before.

I’ll give you that, Jeff, although I am still not sure it matters in the end as long as we can see that oneness…and I cannot see how that can be disputed if you look beyond appearances.

3. Pingback: Māyā | Mystical Strings

4. Sadje says:

Profound and touching poem.

5. Darlene says:

Amazing! The words and the drawings. Thanks.

Liked by 2 people

6. Love this, and I love the word Maya. I really wanted to name Ava, Maya, but I suppose Ava suits her more.

7. Widdershins says:

Touched my heart. 🙂 … probably from the first time I read of one of your adventures among the Standing Stones.

Maya is a wonderful poem, Sue. So much wisdom in those words…