Christmas Eve…

christmas candle

There is a story on the radio… some ghostly tale or other. I never really understood why we tell ghost stories at Christmas. I know it is traditional, but I was never sure how far back it went. I’d done a bit of research once, but that took it only a few hundred years. I had often wondered if it went back even further, to the dark, wild nights when firelight cast a safe circle against the dancing shadows. It is easy to imagine strange creatures when the shades claw their way up the walls, especially when the bonds of conscious thought are loosed by the ember glow.

The story ends and is replaced by Christmas carols. Looking around the room, everything is ready. Presents wait, all wrapped under the tree, mince pies dusted with sugar… a carrot for Rudolph and a glass of sherry for Santa, to keep out the cold. It’s a good job he doesn’t have to worry about drinking and driving… one of the perks of being a magical figure, I suppose.

She hasn’t seen me come in. I watch as the tears fall in silence. Tears… yes, Christmas brings old memories. Smiles, too… but tonight, just the tears. I want to offer comfort to the quiet figure on the sofa, but I don’t know how. The dog looks at me, expecting me to help somehow, then turns away, laying his head in her lap. My hand stretches out to her shoulder… but I cannot reach her. All I can do is hope that the love that is my very being can be felt. That she knows I am here, loving her still. Tonight, I know why we speak of our ghosts at Christmas… called by love, it is the night we come home.

This entry was posted in Christmas and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Christmas Eve…

1. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    A CHRISTMAS STORY WE ALL MAY HAVE EXPERIENCED, IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER!

Liked by 2 people

2. Patty says:

Reblogged this on Campbells World.

Liked by 2 people

3. kirizar says:

This perfectly captures the ghosts of my Christmas’ past. People very rarely address the sadness that is inherent in the holidays. No one likes to talk about the people who are alone, or very near to, at this time of year. I’m reminded each year that my husband is gone. His birthday fell on December 28th. So, it is always a pin waiting to stab me when the calendar clicks around every year. Seeing ‘whole’ families, I’m reminded. Even if families are imperfect or unhappy, they still have each other. And, I envy that. Still, you can’t live on bitterness and envy. So, it’s a passing feeling. I try to be glad for what I have and who I get to spend the season with. Yet, it is also appreciated that you acknowledge the ghosts. It helps to lay them to rest.

Liked by 3 people

4. colonialist says:

A sad but beautiful tale, perfectly timed.

5. We will light a candle for my Mum and the two Dads on Christmas Day, and hope they see the light knowing we are thinking of them as we do every day. They visit me in my dreams, young and whole. We miss their physical presence, but they are always near.

6. Frank Hubeny says:

It is a dark time of year in the northern hemisphere. That might account for the ghost stories. Regardless, it is good to pass on love to those Christmas ghosts.

7. Jennie says:

My goodness, Sue. You hit the heart of Christmas, the feelings of love and coming home, of loss and sadness. My very best wishes to you at a bittersweet time.

8. Especially this year, when we have lost so many friends. We are glad for the few we have left and hug them closer.

Already I know I will get through a lot of tissues this Christmas, my emotions are having a field day!

10. dgkaye says:

So many things bring us ‘home’ and the holidays are good reminders about who no longer sits at the table. ❤ xx