From the small dog…

bird and dog 001_DxO

“The time has come,” the doglet said,
“to talk of many things;
Of tennis balls and squeaky ducks,
and sneaky bees with stings;
of why the sparrows fly so fast
and if that cat has wings.”
“Just wait a bit,” the writer said,
“I’m busy with these things.”

“But writer,“ said the small dog then,
“The sun will shortly set,
the pheasants will be playing out,
and rabbits too, I bet.
I really should be practising,
I haven’t caught one yet.”
“Hmm. Never mind, it’s raining
and you don’t like getting wet.”

“Ok then,” sighed the little dog,
“We could consider, please,
the therapeutic benefits
of sharing Cheddar cheese.
Or why that spider’s sitting there,
Or why do you have knees…”
“You scratch a lot,” the writer said,
“You sure it isn’t fleas?”

The clouds were turning dusky pink,
Upon the fading blue.
The writer sighed, put down the pen
another task was through.
“Come on, small dog, go get the leash,
your walk is overdue.”
The small dog answered sheepishly,
“Tough luck, I ate your shoe.”

With apologies to Lewis Carroll….
But none at all to her.
She should come out more.

Laughter 1This poem features in

Laughter Lines:
Life from the Tail End

Sue Vincent

Take a life with a small dog in tow, add a dash of red hair dye, a selection of crumbling biscuits and a passion for recitable verse… The result is a recipe for laughter. Sue Vincent and the small dog share a world in verse.

This entry was posted in Books, Poetry and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to From the small dog…

1. Love this, Sue. Though sorry about the shoe. I trust Ani still got her walk. 🙂

2. Darlene says:

Sounds familiar. Dot doesn’t seem to understand, “wait until I finish this paragraph.”

3. Another great poem Sue, and lovely pic of Ani.

4. Marcia says:

I love it when Small Dog shows up to chat. So clever, that little one is! And I’m long overdue for a look at more like this. Heading off to download Laughter Lines right this minute, before I forget. Again. 🙂 ❤

Liked by 2 people

5. Marcia says:

Reblogged this on The Write Stuff and commented:
    Small Dog is visiting with Sue Vincent today on Sue Vincent’s Daily Echo. I love when Ani decides to chat with Sue. Check it out. I can pretty much guarantee a smile. The picture alone is worth stopping by, but do yourself a favor, and read the poem, too, then pass it along. Thanks for this morning’s smile, Sue! 🙂 ❤

6. Love it!! Bought a copy of the book, and will be reblogging on our site this coming week. Thank you for the smile, Sue!!

7. Reblogged this on Smorgasbord Blog Magazine and commented:
    Ah… another poem from the canine bardess Ani… who has Sue Vincent just where she wants her.. at the end of a lead or a piece of mature cheddar.. she has a way with words..#recommeneded.

Liked by 4 people

8. I just had to reblog (for Monday, so this one has time to settle!) this one. I love your take-offs on Carroll! And of course, Ani.

Liked by 2 people

9. Ani is one smart puppy! Enjoyed this, Sue. Hope walking in one shoe isn’t too uncomfortable 😉

10. olganm says:

Great, Sue. I hope it wasn’t a favourite shoe, but I understand…

11. Deborah Jay says:

Okay, I had to go and buy the book – that’s too hilarious!

Absolutely cracking poem, Sue…

Liked by 2 people

13. Adele Marie says:

Fantastic. Becca and I loved this so much, I’ve bought one for her Christmas and one for her sister too. ❤

14. Love it! It’s a perfect take on Lewis Carroll and just look at the intelligence, resignation and mischief in that dog’s face. Perhaps you’d better check the remaining shoe…

15. Reblogged this on Chris The Story Reading Ape's Blog and commented:
    Ani and her career, Sue, having a dog to human conversation 👍😃

16. joylennick says:

Sheer brilliance! (Wish I’d written it…) Loved it. xx

17. joyroses13 says:

Cute and creative! Great job!

18. colonialist says:

Great parody! An improvement on speculations regarding ocean temperatures and airborne swine.

19. jjspina says:

Love the dog and the poem, Sue! I’d hide the shoes next time! Lol! 😘🤗

20. dgkaye says:

Ani, always entertaining. ❤

21. noelleg44 says:

Another winner from you both, Ani and Sue. I’m glad you both ponder many things – and that Ani got her walk!

22. Pingback: A Reblog of a poem from Sue Vincent and Ani – SaylingAway

23. noelleg44 says:

PS I reblogged this on saylingaway,wordpress.com!

24. Jennie says:

I love this, Sue!

25. rijanjks says:

A fantastic poem, Sue! I loved it!

26. Oh, how I love it! 🙂 xo

27. Pingback: FROM THE SMALL DOG – Reblog – Sue Vincent – Serendipity – Seeking Intelligent Life on Earth

28. I especially like the ending!

29. Pingback: A Fun Doggie Poem for Our "Off" Week (and A New Doggie Christmas Release!) - Misterio Press