Soul-gazing

The waters of the earth are heaven’s glass
We, in their calm reflection seek our own,
And, lost in wonder, think the stars surpass
The simple spark we hold of truth unknown.
The mind, its logic lost in paradox,
Requires ending to the questioned quest;
Confines eternity within a box
That, like a coffin’d corpse, is laid to rest.
No more than just a single drop am I
Within the ocean of infinity,
And if no Hand exists, who then can try
To separate the droplet from the sea?
The heart that rests upon the scales has sight
To cast aside the veil and see the light.

Sonnet for Paul’s prompt at dVerse

This entry was posted in Photography, Poetry, soul, Spirituality and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Soul-gazing

1. kim881 says:

A gorgeous sonnet, Sue, and I love ‘heaven’s glass’. How true the lines:
    ‘No more than just a single drop am I
    Within the ocean of infinity’,

2. buffalopound says:

I love this sonnet, Sue. That’s all there is to say about it.

3. I think you have penned a wonderfully soulful sonnet Sue. Do i hear echoes of Blake here?

4. This is an absolutely perfect sonnet. I love the single droplet in the ocean lines very much. Reminds me of a song I love titled “We Are Not Solitary Waves”.

5. What a great sonnet… and I really love the sense of being just a droplet in the ocean, but in the end we see the light.

6. Beautiful poem to reflect on, Sue. “Confines eternity within a box” – the mind does seem to want to do that, and yet we often reside in the future and by our actions, believe we’ll live forever.

7. I like the riddle feel of this sonnet and how we arrive at a “coffin’d corpse” when we think we have arrived at all. Thus must we ever perpetuate wonder…

8. Waltermarks says:

We always want answers to the quest. It is as you proposed, the human paradox. It all has to fit within our human brain box. Your sonnet is a profound study that may not have an answer, but we must muse, lol

9. rothpoetry says:

I love this piece! Drops in the ocean of infinity….and if no Hand exists…weighed on the scales..
    So many great images! Very soul searching,
    Dwight

10. Two Hands Chalice BorN oNE
    SouLS HoLDinG WaTeR
    ToGeTHeR
    ReFreSHinG
    EacH OTHeR
    DancESonGLoVE..:)

11. Heaven’s glass. I like that. Sometimes the ponds and lakes really are as clear as a mirror.

12. Just Barry says:

Brilliant work. That first line is very strong, and this… this here…:

“No more than just a single drop am I
    Within the ocean of infinity,
    And if no Hand exists, who then can try
    To separate the droplet from the sea?”

Love everything about this.

13. Wow! Deep. Powerful. Moving. Thank you for sharing 🙂

Cheers,

Mark

14. Jo says:

Wow, your poem is so deep!

15. Grace says:

Such a lovely sonnet ~ This is my favorite line:

No more than just a single drop am I
    Within the ocean of infinity,

16. Widdershins says:

What a magnificent eye. The reflections on the water make it look as though it is curved … a perfect accompaniment to your words. 🙂

17. What a gorgeous sonnet, Sue. Heavens glass, a single drop in the ocean of infinity . . . Well, just every line is profound. Love it!

18. Frank Hubeny says:

Beautiful sound and sense throughout this sonnet.