Ephemera

Spun-sugar morning
Above the sleeping city
A piquant contrast
Nature’s daily orison
Enlightening the dreamers

In summer, I miss the winter. Dawn breaks too early, even for the dog. Doubtless, she would not refuse a walk, but should I rise to greet the sun, she will not move, preferring her dreams to my reality. There is a temptation to walk anyway, with or without her boundless energy bounding ahead.

I watch the sky and ponder words, cloud-shadows on consciousness. ‘Temptation’… I know it means ‘to test or try’… yet I wonder if it stems from tempus… time? Are not all temptations just a matter of time? Too soon, too late, sometime, never… Should I dream some sweet allure and fiery excitement… or smile, content with the magic of this moment? All things pass, ephemeral as a dawn; but those who sleep miss the miracle.

For Colleen’s poetry prompt

This entry was posted in Photography, Poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Ephemera

1. williwash says:

Reblogged this on WilliWash.

2. trentpmcd says:

Around the solstice my dogs wanted to go out for a walk at 4 AM…. This week they are letting me sleep until 5, but I refuse to get out of bed until 5:30! Sunrises are beautiful, even if they are too early 😉 For those who like to dream with eyes wide open.

Very nice I am always up way too early these days!! ❤ ❤

4. memadtwo says:

I’m up early and late, so I like the long days of light. Winter closes in on me. But you capture the feelings of time so well–(K)

5. I’m up for the sunrise every day, and it’s always beautiful (even when it’s not!). Gorgeous photos and sugar-spun poem, Sue.

Reblogged this on .

7. Eliza Waters says:

The birds wake me well before the sunrise, I might note how far north the trajectory of the sun is now, but sleep again to rise much later. I must get my full allotment of sleep!
    Your photos of the sky are stunning!

8. Denis1950 says:

Stunning sunrises Sue, and a beautiful poem to celebrate that time of day.

9. jazzytower says:

I love this, and the photos are beautiful.

10. Erik says:

I’m a night owl by nature, so I tend to still be up at dawn most mornings. The birds are always excited to see the sun.

You: “Should I dream some sweet allure and fiery excitement… or smile, content with the magic of this moment?”

I dreamed last night that I was helping to comfort and help a black lion with broken teeth. I was able to convince the local zoo to make very expensive screw-in teeth for the lion; but in the meantime, he had been unable to eat. He was finally able to eat ground beef.

While my dreams are rarely dull and always crystal clear, I do believe, however, that “the magic of this moment,” if we live each fully, can turn up some “sweet allure and fiery excitement” of its own.

I always enjoy your take on the world through your photos, poems and reflections, Sue.

11. Pingback: Colleen’s Weekly #Poetry Challenge 41 – #Haiku #Tanka #Haibun: MUSIC & ART – Colleen Chesebro ~ Fairy Whisperer