Farsight

Without the hand of Man the sun will rise
And set in splendour with the dying day;
The soul of beauty does not need our eyes.

Man’s fate was never written in the skies
Though in its blue reflection, portents play
Without the hand of Man the sun will rise

True beauty, by its nature, never dies,
Though Man is lost and found along the way
The soul of beauty does not need our eyes.

Man’s insignificance the race denies
And seeks illusive dominance for clay…
Without the hand of Man the sun will rise.

The essence of our being flees its ties
And from a higher vantage sees a way
The soul of beauty does not need our eyes.

When ego has no need of alibis
Then truth can live upon our lips and say,
Without the hand of Man the sun will rise
The soul of beauty does not need our eyes.

This entry was posted in Photography, Poetry and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Farsight

1. pennygadd51 says:

What is beauty when no-one is watching? Isn’t beauty a human concept requiring our participation to exist?

Beauty may be a constantly-changing concept as defined by the human mind, but I would like to think that there is a beauty that is the simple ‘rightness’ of things, that goes beyond the need for witnesses.

2. Erik says:

This is a good reminder — one I reflect upon often — for when I’m tempted to take on too much. I can make a difference in the world while I’m here, and I do feel a sense of purpose; but the world will go on without me if I don’t do whatever it is. It’s best neither to underestimate nor overestimate one’s own sense of importance.

Agreed, Erik. We do like to think ourselves indipensable… yet if a thing needs to be done, it will be done, whether we are there or not. On the other hand, that does not excuse us from accepting our responsibilities while we are here… or doing our best to be the best human beings we can. The world may not miss us when we have departed… but it will have been changed by own presence, even if only in a small, invisible way.

• Erik says:

I’m counting on it. That is why I write: I want to leave something positive behind when I go.

I just want to know that I tried. “The purpose of life—if it may be said to have purpose—is not ease. It is to choose, and to act upon the choice. In that task, we are not measured by outcomes. We are measured only by daring and effort and resolve.” Stephen R. Donaldson

3. astonishing poetry really amazing thoughts perfectly executed. loved it

4. Mae Clair says:

Wow! Beautiful poem, Sue. Loved this!

5. noelleg44 says:

Sad, ethereal, and reminds us all we are not immortal, that the beautiful earth could survive quite well without us (maybe better),

6. kirizar says:

Hypnotic repetition of certain lines gives this the feeling of a chant or some religious prayer set to verse. I feel compelled to recite along and end with some call and response: “so mote it be!”

7. Rae Longest says:

Simply lovely and philosophically satisfying.

8. What a wonderful villanelle… and such wisdom making us insignificant in a way… the best of the world is not made by humans.

9. frankhubeny says:

Perfect meter and rhyme and clear message. What we experience as beauty would be there with or without us. It is a gift. I’m glad we are here to receive it. Very nice poem.

It is the tree in the forest thing…. what we experience as beauty would still be here, yes… though would it still be ‘beauty’ without our gaze? Thanks, Frank.

10. jillys2016 says:

Such perfect meter! Bravo!

11. Bev says:

This poem is pure perfection! I am privileged to have read it!

12. A powerful poem with a beautiful sound. I love the shift in meaning that happens in the second to last stanza.

13. Sumana Roy says:

This is wisdom in perfection. After reading this poem I really feel that this insignificant human life is truly Privileged to experience beauty.

14. Great villanelle, Sue. One of the few I’ve read that manages both rhymes and sticks to a rhythm. And creates a beautiful poem too 🙂

15. Colin Lee says:

I read this in awe, Sue, again and again. My favourite line is “When ego has no need of alibis”. That rhyme came home so unexpectedly yet made so much sense. This last stanza was pure gold — divine goosebumps to my ears. Thank you for this lesson in life (and exemplar in our craft).

16. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

So true, and beautifully stated.

17. kertsen says:

It is a fine poem but the philosophy is wrong. Nature knows nothing of beauty the sun is an energy converter changing hydrogen into helium. It does not move its apparent movement is due to the turning earth. Beauty and truth are moral concepts of man due to his self- awareness, nature is amoral destroying and creating regardless of consequences. The late Carl Satan who wrote in shinning praise of nature is guilty of the same common error and of course Richard Dawkins who declares creation is a form of spiritual beauty.

The term ‘philosophy’ comes from the Greek meaning ‘love of wisdom’. Wisdom and knowledge are not identical. Knowledge explores the physical realities, wisdom uses knowledge as a raw material. The two need not be mutually exclusive.

You may well be right in believing the actions of nature to be an amoral and mechanical process. Beauty is, undoubtedly, a human concept, based upon the conditioning of our senses within our sphere of existence. Truth, however may be both a concept and an absolute. What is cannot be anything other than what is. The difference between something being true and being Truth is more than one of perception.

On a more personal note, though, whether the philosophy of the poem is right or wrong matters little. If, as you assert, truth itself is no more than a moral concept and therefore not a reality, then the philosophy can be neither true nor false. It is, however a symbolic expression of my own perception of reality and I choose to live in a world where both beauty and truth may be beacons for humanity’s higher aspirations.

18. kertsen says:

We must not get into a philosophical debate and spoil a poetry blog. I just feel strongly about these matters and could not hold back. It is true we can chose the world we live in but we should take account of the world as humanity has discovered it to be.