City lights

leicester-013

Last week, I had occasion to visit Leicester. I planned on going to the Cathedral while I was there, but traffic delayed me. The other two churches I wanted to see were closed, but the  city was lit for Christmas and a fair was in full swing.

leicester-044

I was content to just wander the streets with the camera for a while. The old Roman Forum was playing host to a Ferris Wheel and with the medieval buildings, monuments and churches in the background, everything was light and colour.

leicester-031

I live in a village and love the peace and silence, but I am a city girl by birth. Although I do not miss living in a city and will avoid even my small local town whenever I can, there is a definite ‘buzz’ on a city street at night.

leicester-057

It is not something you notice so much when you are head down, running for a bus after work or feeling oppressed by the constant crowds with which you live, but when a visit is a rarity, the vibe of a city is like caffeine.

leicester-033

Especially early on a Friday evening at Christmas. The crowds are still sober and good natured. There is laughter. There are children being taken to see store Santas and glowing, wide-eyed with magic.

leicester-046

The air smells not of exhaust fumes or impatience, but of doughnuts, crepes and cinnamon, with the odd hint of fish and chips. and candy floss. A week before Christmas, no one is stressed yet. They are not on a last minute mission to get the mother-in-law’s present. It just feels  good.

leicester-024

I had never really wandered around Leicester before. Even in the dark, I could see there were beautiful old buildings and narrow streets I would like to explore.

leicester-052

But I was happy just to enjoy the atmosphere for a little while. A vibe I recognised. Even the piped carols couldn’t get me down. Suddenly, I realised, it felt like Christmas.

leicester-022

This entry was posted in Christmas, Landscape, Photography and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to City lights

1. It looks wonderful! Have a lovely Christmas. Hugs and treats by proxy for Ani.

2. Reblogged this on Michaelphelps1's Blog and commented:
    WHAT A beautiful CITY! THANKS FOR SHARING!
    MERRY CHRISTMAS and ALL THE BEST FOR 2017

3. Laura says:

Leicester’s lights are certainly a lot better than Birmingham’s! One street can’t have lights now because the tram comes down it. On the plus side, we do have the largest German market outside of Germany and Austria. But prettier, more colourful lights would be lovely…

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

4. socialbridge says:

So atmospheric, Sue.

5. applebitsblog says:

This is beautiful, thanks for sharing this.😊 Merry Christmas to you and your family.🎄💝

6. olganm says:

Great pics, Sue. Merry Xmas!

7. Danke für diese wundervolle Reiseführung durch Leicester. Wirklich eine Reise wert. Bitte, wartet noch mit dem Austritt aus der EU. 😉

8. Also in your language available 😉 : (Sorry!)
    Thanks for this wonderful trip to Leicester. Really worth a trip. Please wait with the withdrawal from the EU. 😉 Merry Christmas!

9. paulandruss says:

Wow. Brilliant photos and text a real city of light and magic

10. Thanks for sharing such pretty Christmas photos. Merry Christmas Sue, and all the best for 2017. 🙂

11. Widdershins says:

When we woke up this morning the snow was still on the ground, and we thought, ‘yes, this is Christmas’ 😀

12. How pretty. It does look very Christmassy 🙂

13. Great lights! You have the biggest ferris wheels in the world, I think. Easily twice as big as anything I’ve seen in this country.