A golden gift – Light show

anglesey-bryn-holy-island-wales-270

This is the part where it gets awkward. Tell the facts straight, or tell how it felt? Either way, our conclusions will take some time to process. Some of the ideas sound so odd even to us that sharing them might need a new approach…though stranger things are published every day. Yet once again, on the surface, nothing happened.

Camera enthusiasts could doubtless explain the light and colour; I’m not sure that it matters whether there is a perfectly logical explanation or not. What we experienced opened up a new line of thought…new ideas… a better understanding, perhaps. As far as I am concerned, this was one of those times where logical reality takes second place to the magic of the moment.

anglesey-bryn-holy-island-wales-196

We were in the inner chamber, looking out through the window that was never a window, having been beneath the earth of the original mound, at the carved stone that had also been buried and beyond it to the stone in the next field. I haven’t been able to find any measured information on that, but I would guess, from what we saw on site and from aerial photographs, that the two stones align with the passageway… and thus with the rising of the midsummer sun.

We experimented with sound once again, as we had at Presaddfed. Unlike our experience with the chanteater, though, here the chamber seemed to amplify and echo the sound, feeding it back as more a physical reverberation than a sound. They had buried a single, human earbone beneath the stone in the centre of the circle when it stood. Were they working with sound? As the ninth chant slowly faded, we stood in silence, hand in hand. To complete the circuit, I felt, I too had to speak, voicing a renewal of a long-ago dedication. And then it was done.

anglesey-bryn-holy-island-wales-211

We stood a while, looking at the offerings. Almost at a loose end; the simple rite had changed the mood. I tried to take another picture through the ‘window’, but all I got was orbs…dust motes, perhaps, stirred up by the sound. It was while I standing in the light… while I was talking to them (“You can’t tell them that…””Why not? I talk to everything else…”) that my companion disappeared down the corridor behind me.

Shot after shot, just the dancing motes of light, changing colour from white to gold. “You have to see this…” He is standing with the camera, just outside the mound. His face is white, eyes wide, as he clicks the shutter. “The floor went red… and now look…”

anglesey-bryn-holy-island-wales-217

I looked. The chamber is flooded with bright, golden light. As it streams out of the chamber, it meets the blue, casting shadows that bring the stones of the passageway to life. They look like statues, guardians… stone ghosts of the ancestors. High on the back wall of the chamber, there seems to be a boar painted, where there is no painting.

It was the strangest feeling, as if we were looking through a time tunnel or a rift in reality, seeing something that patently wasn’t there…or not any more… or not in this world. Yet we both saw and captured the same things.ย  It wasn’t the sun… that was peeking over the top of the mound and not inย  line with the ‘window’. “Whatever it was came straight down the passage then, when it reached the entrance, it was just…gone.” Whatever it was, we were going back in…

ย anglesey-bryn-holy-island-wales-238

This entry was posted in adventure, albion and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to A golden gift – Light show

1. janmalique says:

There is a special atmosphere at this site. It is one of my favourites in Wales.

2. Enjoyed reading about this. Thx Sue

3. adeleulnais says:

wow, I wonder if you had slipped back into time or a place where time doesn’t exist. Perhaps through the use of sound. I believe that the ancients used sound to lift the heavy things, e.g. the pyramid stones. There is corroboration of this in the ancient vedic texts.

4. Bernadette says:

A very strange experience. I imagine it still haunts your thoughts.

5. Jennie says:

Oooo! Seems to be the perfect word.

Liked by 2 people

6. Helen Jones says:

Oh, so it wasn’t the sun? How amazing, on so many levels. Time is elastic, so perhaps you just… stretched it a little?

7. paulandruss says:

This post is so weird because.. and I really have no idea how it relates…. but something tells me it does. Archeologists discovered New Grange was built to interact with sound waves such as drumming in the cruciform head chamber. The corbelled roof warped the sound waves amplifying sub-sonics, which act on the body like physical forces. One visual representation of this was they caused the loose sand floor to produce changing patterns, that are echoed in the carvings at the mouth. They speculated if the site was originally built for ritual purposes instead of burial – for example the ritual simulated death and rebirth of the fertility king, then as the king crawled through the passageway the sounds would produce states of altered consciousness. I wonder if this somehow fits in with the change in light? Humans are visual creatures- the only apes that see in colour. Pressure on the eyes or even vibrations in the skull might stimulate the pineal gland might producing unearthly visual effects. I learned about this many years ago and only have faulty memory to go on, so excuse me for putting it so badly. But one thing I am sure of, from all these recent wonderful posts, is the ancients knew what they were doing even if their explanations might be entirely different from our ‘scientific’ ones today

Oddly enough, Paul, I have been delving into just that research sincewe were at Bryn Celli Ddu and I am sure that what they found with the soundwaves there has a lot to do with what we experienced.

8. More chills. Those orbs are spectacular!

9. Running Elk says:

๐Ÿ˜ฎ No words. Incredible. Exquisite. Perfection…
    This makes things interesting for September! Bring your best en-chant-er… we have a sonic theory to test. No pressure… ๐Ÿ˜‰

10. Pingback: Naked Earth – France & Vincent