Melting point – #WQWWC

garden 2012 006

It was already hot, only dawn and I’m melting

The sun in the heavens is already pelting

I want to crawl into the fridge to keep cool

I am staying indoors, I am nobody’s fool.

But in that I am wrong, for I do have a duty…

My son is my boss though, in that there is beauty.

He will understand that I’m achy and hot

He is bound to be gentle with Mum, is he not?

He’s all bright and smiley, he likes the hot weather,

I’m wilting and limp, but I keep it together…

“Let’s garden today,” said my son and employer.

Is that in my contract…perhaps get a lawyer?

He feeds me with honey for energy levels

Then says something nice, he’s a sneaky young devil

He plies me with compliments, even says ‘please’…

Then I’m out with the rose bushes, spiders and bees.

Still, he came out and gardened and filled up the barrow

And sorted the feeder for starling and sparrow

He held up the trees while I tied them in place…

And went all brown and gold while I’m red in the face.

The joy of it was, we were both of us working,

Both getting the jobs done and neither was shirking,

Which, given his story, was quite an endeavour..

Which just goes to show, you can never say never.

garden flowers birds 149For WQWWC- ‘Hope’

This entry was posted in Humour, Photography, Poetry and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Melting point – #WQWWC

1. reocochran says:

Your son’s story is amazing and I think he likes to be in your garden side by side, despite pain or challenges. Love the way you want to crawl inside the refrigerator, Sue. On a hot day, I feel the same way! 🙂

Love the new pic, Robin!
      Oh, the garden is his… I just help there. Mine is yet to be built 🙂
      I don’t do airless heat these days very well, and the south always feels airless in summer.

2. J.C. Wolfe says:

Beautiful poem, Sue! Your son’s story is so inspiring; I can see why you chose to write about him for the theme of Hope! Never say never, indeed! Well done! 🙂

3. I too have a son 🙂 They can always grab you by the heart strings. I think that’s their designated job.

4. ksbeth says:

lovely poem

Bless the pair of you… such a beautiful relationship…

6. Susan Scott says:

Just lovely Sue thank you!

7. You are blessed to have such a wonderful son, Sue. Great poem. I could use some of that heat over here. We went from May to October!

8. Eliza Waters says:

My son refuses to garden with me – we are both too strong-minded! ;-D

9. Shadeau says:

Great poem and what an interesting quote!

10. Judy Martin says:

I can relate to this in the searing heat! It is such a inspirational poem Sue, given Nick’s story and your discomfort in the heat. You both got on with the job together as a team. love it 🙂

11. Judy Martin says:

Reblogged this on Edwina's Episodes and commented:
    A wonderful poem that is so heart-warming! 🙂

12. Reblogged this on Silver Threading ~ Fairy Whisperer ~ and commented:
    Sue shows us TRUE HOPE. Please read this excellent poem and learn about Nick’s story. He is a shining beacon of hope to us all!! ❤

13. Sue, the beauty of your words… you always get me right in the heart! The joy of learning that Nick is right there with you in the garden. That fills my heart! ❤

This is so amazing such beauty and love in your poem, I have been to read and followed your son’s blog …I had no idea no wonder you are so proud of him!!

15. dgkaye says:

Beautiful poem and quotes Sue. So you went from cold to blistering heat? 🙂

16. Nicely done, Sue – says it all.Jx

17. Norah says:

Beautiful poem, Sue. What a lot of contrasts. I love Gaiman’s quote. Thank you for sharing.

18. vivachange77 says:

Lovely and delightful poem. I like the picture of the bee.

19. Charli Mills says:

Your son is so inspiring, and what a gift to share the journey, the hot sun, the work together.

20. Pingback: #WQWWC – Writers Quote ‘Thursday’ Writing Challenge – “Believe” – Silver Threading ~ Fairy Whisperer ~

21. macjam47 says:

Sue, this really touched me. I too, have a son who likes to garden with me. Hugs.