Independence day

Genesis by Niick Verron (statue of John Hampden)

Genesis by Nick Verron (statue of John Hampden)

For millions, across the US, the fourth of July is Independence Day and I wish you a wonderful day. Here, it is also a special day… it is my son’s rebirthday.

Regular readers know Nick’s story, how he was stabbed through the brain and left dying in an alley… the long, terrifying months of coma and rehab and the years of determined effort to regain his independence.

DSC_1280

He named the 4th of July his rebirthday because, instead of putting an end to his life, the injury pressed the ‘reset’ button and let him start again, with a new set of values, based not on being the best at his job or amassing the trappings of worldly success, but on paying attention to the world and its beauty and being the best of himself.

His recovery has been little short of miraculous. His achievements astonishing. Last year there was May Day, the Triathlon and the BBC news, London to Brighton cycle ride and a speech at the UKABIF conference when he was presented with a national award.  He wrote on his blog that it was ‘pretty mental.’ So is the support he has received from the blogging community.

Award presented by John and Susan McAleese, Stephen's parents

My son has plans for his future.. the next twelve months could be exciting.

Today, my son has his seventh rebirthday… and he has always seen seven as his lucky number. I hope this year will live up to his dreams.

Instead of birthday candles… some of Nick’s own posts.

The Beginning is Near

The Privilege of Solitude

Views from an Injured Brain

Life Is What You Make It

Mirror, mirror, on them all

Be your own worst enemy or your best friend

Stranded in civilisation

This entry was posted in Nick Verron, Surviving brain injury and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Independence day

1. Wonderful post, Sue. Happy Rebirthday to Nick 🙂

2. I will think of all the fireworks as in Nick’s honor. And honor to you, too, for being there and supporting him through it all. None of us make it all alone.

3. You’re the best mom ever. Thank you for keeping us updated. He’s made tremendous progress and is such an inspiration.

4. And so, Happy ReBirthday to your wonderful Nick, dearest Sue!
    For all the courage and beautiful things are yours. Bless!

5. Ritu says:

Happy rebirthday Nick! 7 is my lucky number too!

6. obi says:

A real happy Rebirthday to your and our Nick.You both have been an inspiration to me and all our friends. To you Sue,there is a very popular song to great mothers in pidgin English that dominated the pidgin English world for decades.The first line is “Sweet mother I no go forget you for dis suffer way you suffer for me” ( Mother I will never forget the way you have suffered for me).
    Congrats Nick for this your reday and for your future plans.We will surely have more to celebrate.

7. He is truly amazing. Happy Rebirthday Nick.

Happy new birthday, Nick. I hope the coming year will hold all that you dream of and more besides…

9. Mary Smith says:

Happy Rebirthday, Nick – and you, too, Sue. Love the amazing photo at the start of the blog – he obviously takes after his mother when wielding a camera!

10. Happy Rebirthday Nick!!
    Well done Sue for being a hero in supporting him.

11. Your son is a fighter, Sue. The bad times are over. Smileeee!
    Say hi to your son.
    And Happy Independence day to you all. 😀

12. Judy Martin says:

A very Happy Rebirthday to Nick. Long may he continue to defy all expectations! 🙂

13. Widdershins says:

Happy Seventh Birth Day to Nick. 😀

14. noelleg44 says:

HAPPY REBIRTHDAY to Nick. I’ve missed him lately for some reason, Is he on his world walkabout?

15. Eliza Waters says:

I sent him an email yesterday, but I understand his service is out – give my best to him!

16. C.E.Robinson says:

Beautiful post, Sue! Happy Rebirthday to znick! Seven, and all odd numbers are lucky for me too! I was born on 7-9-1939! Yay! 💥

17. dgkaye says:

Nick is a true inspiration. Happy rebirthday Nick. Wishing you a lucky 7 year! 🙂

18. Reblogged this on Musings on Life & Experience and commented: