Sartorial dreams

Image: Tumblr

Image: Tumblr

I want to be an emo-goth, or something of that ilk

And dress in flowing fripperies of velvet, lace and silk.

Or dark Victoriana of the Steampunk kind of thing,

With nicely whaleboned corsetry all tightened up with string.

I’d like to wear a brocade coat of military cut…

That style of dress inspires me to try it one day but

Aside from the expense a whole new wardrobe would entail

(And having reservations on the boning of a whale)

The corsetry’s uncomfortable and not for any fashion

Would I wish to be swooning, with a complexion gone ashen.

I wouldn’t mind the draperies that cover every sin up,

Let’s face it, I’ve got curves but I have never been a pin-up,

But velvet robes are not the thing for when you take the dog out

(Unless you want the witchy look and find a prince to frog-out).

And then again, I’m getting older and I might look silly

Just wafting down a village lane in something silk and frilly.

I’ve always gone for tailoring or snuggle-soft and woolly

That draped a bit discretely and disguised the odd bits fully,

I wouldn’t know quite where to start to get the right look going

And maybe I’m too short to really wear the long and flowing.

So really I have no idea just how to go about it…

I’d better stick to comfy clothes and carry on without it.

This entry was posted in Humour, Poetry and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Sartorial dreams

1. Steve Giese says:

This is witty and charming and leaves me wanting to tell the narrator she should try them at least once.

2. Tammi Kale says:

I entertain such fantasies of dressing myself…but alas, that’s all they are – fantasies…..

It is good to have a fantasy or two, even if they never become a reality… such dreams are made of, and all that…

4. Rajiv says:

Nicely done!

5. TanGental says:

Brilliant. Your poems always inspire and then, when I can’t follow suit, depress. Hey ho the live of the jealous poet, huh?!

6. Ali Isaac says:

Ah Sue what a wonderful poem! I know how that feels! So very well done! 😂😂😂

7. adeleulnais says:

No, embrace your inner goth, please. I do agree with the corsets tho, I laced my friends corset up so tightly that she fainted, not good for a goth. Also, the flowing sleeves are no good for washing up. Velvet now that has always been my favourite material, and black?– Well, there are so many shades to choose from. You are never too old or too short to embrace your inner goth.

8. This made me smile, Sue. There is definitely an aging-out of the “get noticed” clothes. Fortunately, there’s no limit on inner beauty 🙂

9. dgkaye says:

I’ll stick to the comfy clothes too Sue. That wardrobe is a bit heavy for a writer to sit at a computer for hours, lol. xo 🙂

10. I love this! I do admire the goth look, but it takes money and commitment. As a teen, I donned dark clothing, but never a corset. Now that I’m a little (or a lot) older, I prefer whatever is comfortable. I have a dog to walk, after all. Great poem.

11. Reblogged this on Smorgasbord – Variety is the spice of life and commented:
    A brilliant piece of verse of sartorial elegance from Sue Vincent..

12. A wonderful piece, Sue, I really enjoyed it. 🙂🙃

13. This is a bit of a lark. Gave me a smile. A wonderful poem, Sue. A wonderful picture in my mind.
    🙂 ❤