Sparrows

P1050505

The gales are howling again here tonight. The branches in the garden are fast losing their remaining leaves; one good frost and winter will be complete. For now, there are still little geraniums and the odd sheltered rose still in bloom and the honeysuckle hedge, shaggy, evergreen and in desperate need of an autumnal haircut, still houses the colony of sparrows it has protected all year.

Although most of the little birds are staying safely amid the intertwined branches, a few ventured forth in search of dinner. I watched as they flew through the clouds of wind-whipped leaves; not perhaps quite as joyfully as usual, but still following their chosen path.

Not for the first time, I was amazed by the strength in these tiny wings.

Have you ever held a sparrow? They weigh no more than cotton wool, barely registering in the scale of your hand. Their delicate bones feel too fragile for flight, even on a balmy summer’s day. In strong winds it seems impossible that such tiny creatures should be able to fly at all.

And yet they do.

P1050536

To me, that seems a miracle… and whether you see it as a miracle of organic evolution or part of a divine design, doesn’t really matter. It still beggars belief that there is such ability in the little feathered aeronauts.

While the storm rages, I find myself watching their flight and drawing inspiration from them, that a creature so small and delicate can take on the storm… and win.

They are at home in their environment, one with the air. They don’t fight the wind, something infinitely bigger and stronger than they… they ride it or simply cut through it, being no more than themselves… having no need to be more than themselves. They are perfect, just as they are.

P1050515

For Colleen’s Writer’s Quote Wednesday and Ronovan’s BeWoW

This entry was posted in Birds, nature, Photography and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Sparrows

1. I am always fascinated by the birds, how these tiny, weightless creatures survive the cruel winters. It’s hard for we humans, how much harder for them?

2. Eliza Waters says:

They seem so fragile, but birds really are pretty tough, considering. They’re well-adapted to their environment. I learned last year about how their vascular system in their legs helps them endure frigid temperatures – it’s miraculous!

3. Photographs from ‘our sparrow colony’ on Monsal Head me thinks…

4. Ritu says:

I was watching a butterfly batting against the winds as they started to pick up yesterday lunchtime… It battled and battled, only to be carried off where the wind wished to go!

Living petals, I like that. You do have such a talent with words, Sue. Everything you write is so beautifully eloquent….

6. socialbridge says:

Beautifully written, Sue

7. Ashtara says:

Oh, I loved this post. I have been feeding and providing homes (in my roof), for
    families of Sparrows for several years…I am constantly amazed and delighted watching them. Thank you! xo

8. What a lovely analogy, Sue. I love the idea of using whatever talents you possess to achieve greatness in this world. We all have our struggles don’t we? Here’s hoping that the storm abates quickly with no more damage to your garden. We tried to dig out of 1 foot snow drifts this morning. I had to borrow a neighbor’s shovel so we could get the car out to go buy a shovel and snow blower. No luck! All the stores nearby were sold out! Thank goodness the snow is melting quickly as it is about 50 degrees F. already and quite sunny and windy. What fun! LOL! ❤

9. macjam47 says:

I love birds and their songs. They are what make getting up in the morning worthwhile, though I could stay in bed and listen to their songs.
    Lovely post.

10. noelleg44 says:

The force of life in these tiny creatures is fierce! We now have three bird feeders and three suet cages to feed these forces of nature!

11. Lovely reminder to just be ourselves💕

12. If left alone, each animal fits perfectly into its environment . I see any kind of life as a miracle. Some don’t see it because they’re so used to it. Lovely story. My personal favorite is the bumble bee. It soundn’t be able to fly and yet it does. 🙂 — Suzanne

13. Pingback: #Writer’s Quote Wednesday & #BeWoW – The Weekly Wrap-Up from 11/18/15 | Silver Threading

14. Yes our feathered friends are indeed one of life’s miracles. 🙂

15. The hardiness of the little birds has always fascinated me. One of the boys came to fetch me from the kitchen as a local cat had caught a bird and he wanted me to save it. I managed, and you are so right, these tiny creatures weigh no more than a whisper. The bird survived, which was a surprise to me after the trauma it had gone through.