Playing footsie

“Take with a meal” the packet said, and “take four times a day,”

Four meals?” my waistline asked in shock, “is there no other way?”

“Four meals,” I sighed reluctantly, “I’m not prepared to risk it.”

“But four...” my waistline whimpered back, “can’t we just have a biscuit?”

My foot had got the upper hand and most of my attention,

My waistline just had to comply and abstain from abstention.

The diet that was doing fine is on the road to Hell…

The fault lies squarely with my foot which isn’t very well.

What started as a nagging ache soon really went to town…

I’m sitting with the thing propped up to keep the swelling down.

It’s stuck out in an arabesque upon a dining chair…

The dog’s upset, ’cause that’s her place and now a foot is there.

I’ve tried the steaming bathtub soak and quantities of ice

Which, with the English climate, really isn’t very nice.

I paced the floor at midnight cursing loudly at the pain,

Then tried to read or write or sleep, all three of them in vain.

I gave up in the end and reached reluctantly for pills,

The ones that say they ‘kill pain fast’ and ‘remedy all ills’.

They worked okay and slumber drew a veil before my eyes;

I dreamed of elephantine feet, a nightmare in disguise.

Now this, of course, was Friday night, the weekend lay ahead,

The docs weren’t there, so I went with the painkillers instead.

Four meals a day, it said, so three times four I sat and ate…

And so I blame my foot for all my waistline’s extra weight.

009

This entry was posted in Dogs, Humour, Poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

70 Responses to Playing footsie

1. I hope you are much better very very soon. Ani needs you! AND your foot.

2. Yikes! Feel better soon! Poor Ani looks very sad indeed.

3. acflory says:

That’s miserable. What actually happened to your foot? And have you managed to get to the doctor yet?

4. barbtaub says:

My sympathies to both you and Ani. (That forlorn tennis ball has my little dog Peri feeling very sorry too.)

5. Sorry to hear about your painfully foot Sue. Hope the tablets help.

6. vronlacroix says:

How else to cope, but with humour. Hope your foot heals soon.

None of this sounds okay to me, apart from the Ani bit. Hope it’s nothing serious. I have found a way around the meals for tablets thing, I use the pain relief gel almost everywhere, it works and saves me (and my stomach ulcer) from the tablets!

8. Mary Smith says:

Hope it eases soon – sounds really painful as well as disruptive to daily life routienes and diets. To have to wait for a week to see a doctor is appalling.

It is pretty much the norm around here, sadly unless it is an emergency. The reorganisation of A and E means the nearest is the best part of thirty miles away now too. Could do without it this week!

9. KL Caley says:

Oh dear, this doesn’t sound too good. Hope it improves soon. It is wonderful that you can create something positive from it though – great post. KL ❀

10. There’s no fun in pain. Yet you manage to insert some Sue. Good on you!

11. olganm says:

I hope it gets better soon. Do take care

12. Hope you are up and dancing soon! I tried to write a poem about my fractured elbow, but I couldn’t find anything that rhymed with $#@*!&^#^#%@!

13. Sue … the whole time I was reading this I kept thinking about your posts on how Ani ends up eating half or most of what you broght out for yourself, with or without your consent. Inevitably I considered the two scenarios side by side and got overly creative: You could just look at it as finally being able to eat two full meals, only over twice as many settings. πŸ™‚ Or you could tell yourself you are making up for lost meals which Ani stole from you in the past. Not that you need to tell yourself anything! But if you need a distraction while recovering … I really hope your foot heals quickly. πŸ™‚

14. BunKaryudo says:

I saw you mention your foot in a few other posts too, Sue. (I’m working through my email notifications in reverse order, so I’m seeing the more recent stuff first.) I hope it gets better soon.

15. dgkaye says:

Now that sucks Sue. Is this something new for you or ongoing? Do you know what it is? Plantar F? If it’s the latter, I know that’s a devil, my hub also suffers that once in a awhile. He had it last about 6 months ago, terrible. I bought him a rubber roller log to stretch his BOTH feet taking turns rolling his foot back and forth to stretch tendon while he sat and watched TV. It lasted about 6 weeks last time. Sheesh, I hope you’ve found a way to deal with the pain, even if you’re breaking the rules and eating 4 square a day, lol. xo ❀

No, this is brand new. I have problems with the other foot, heel and toe, but different from this. Not PF though. No idea what it is but hopefully the doc will know when I see him next week. Meanwhile, it is getting a bit easier and I’m learning how to handle it… just very bad timing! xx

• dgkaye says:

Terrible timing. I hope you’ll manage to drive and it subsides more soon. Maybe gout? In the meantime, watch your diet – try and avoid foods that aggravate inflammation. Sally’s blog is full of good nutritional ideas for that. πŸ™‚ xo

16. macjam47 says:

I hope your foot is better soon. Sounds like it’s a lovely time for you to read and write.

17. Only just got to this, Sue. Hope things are better now.