Back to black

ani hardy feather 014

My sofa is a creamy shade, well, technically ‘off white’…

My dog is of a darker hue, with fur as black as night.

The sofa is a comfy place, the dog is installed there…

So every day the vac’ comes out to clean up all the hair.

I tried to put a cover on, a blanket that was mine,

It too is black as night, you see, and hides the dog hair fine.

But no, she only digs it up and shakes it with her teeth,

Then kicks the sofa cushions off and burrows underneath.

And now the warmer days have come so in the balmy air

As spring moult has begun there are now clouds of midnight hair.

The carpet should be brown, but sports a film of silky black

That’s sending me off scurrying to get the ruddy vac’.

I hoover, dust and polish, just to get rid of the stuff,

The go and flick the kettle on, when I have done enough.

I potter in the kitchen, make a coffee and come back

To find she’s had a roll and shake… the room is back to black.

The stuff gets everywhere you know, it’s in my bath and clothes,

And when she comes to cuddle up, the fluff gets up my nose.

It creeps in every cranny, but the thing I hate the most

Is when it comes to breakfast and I get dog hair on toast.

But then again the moulting is a meagre price to pay

For company and cuddles and her laughter every day.

Considering the many years I hope we’ll be together,

Perhaps the  sofa ought to be replaced with nice black leather.

This entry was posted in Dogs, Humour, Poetry and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Back to black

I do miss having a dog, but maybe not all the hair. It does tend to get just about everywhere though, doesn’t it?

2. Ritu says:

Oh the joys of having a fur baby!!!

3. adeleulnais says:

Yes, i recognise the situation it is the same in our house but the cuddles make all the hair extras worth it.

4. Nirodaigh says:

Haha, I feel your pain and your joy!! 🙂 We have the same only our dog is white and sofa dark purple. His daily walk-by (rub by) leaves a film of huge, long hairs on the cushions, and drives me to distraction. But I adore him, so yeah. It’s still worth it.

5. noelleg44 says:

Ah, Ani! We have a yellow ottoman – well, it’s actually taupe – but Elijah tends to shed despite my brushing. So I covered it with a wool blanket – now I need to vac the blanket,but the hair tends to stick, so I use one of those sticky rollers. Love the poem. Get the black couch and save yourself a lot of cleaning time!

6. Judy Martin says:

Brilliant sue. I can really relate to this as Roxy’s hair goes everywhere too! Mind you, she has just been pruned at the doggy hairdressers! 🙂

7. Then again, if you had cats, you would have the joy of watching your couch turn into a scratching post.

8. Eliza Waters says:

For some reason, Wren sheds in February, while it is still wintry cold here. I brush her as often as she’ll tolerate and I keep those sticky rollers around for clothing and furniture and of course the vac is pressed into service. I’m glad when it goes back to ‘normal’ shedding.
    I’ve often wondered why you have cream-coloured furniture? 😉

9. Widdershins says:

Leather sofa – new chew toy!!! 🙂

10. macjam47 says:

You need to teach Ani to use that sticky roller and clean up after herself. I agree, Sue, I would put up with it for the cuddles and company.

11. Oh, I agree with you, Sue. Toby sheds fur like there is not going to be enough to ever cover the floors again, but we’d never be without him. Mind you, when he has a good brushing he goes back to looking like a puppy. I think that’s one of the reasons why he hates being brushed.

12. marianbeaman says:

I think I’ve caught a glimpse of Ani in this post. Thanks, Sue!