Age, the unhappy bunny and the Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet. image by Stuart France

Silver Bullet: image by Stuart France

Mea culpa. I, who teach a system that includes the principle of non-attachment, have grown very attached to the Silver Bullet. She is no longer young… she has lost the last traces of youth and is becoming rather faded and wrinkled. She creaks a bit too. She still scrubs up well though…as long as you overlook the small bubbles of rust around her wheel arches and the odd stone chip, she is not in bad condition for her age. More to the point, that little car holds many fond memories.

She has seen much of England, dipped her toe briefly in Wales as a precursor to future adventures and carried me around Scotland. Not just me, though… she has been an integral part of the adventures with my writing partner and our books… ferried dear friends too-seldom seen around the country and, quite apart from getting me to work every day, she is both my passport to freedom and friendship and the magic carpet that carries me north where my heart gets to sing. She knows the way home.

The supermarket delivery driver was most apologetic as I got out of the car. He’d parked his vehicle across the entrance to the drive, leaving me no alternative but to park in the street behind him. Unfortunately, he must have forgotten that I was there. He was even more apologetic when he knocked on the door to tell me he had reversed into the Silver Bullet with sufficient force to do substantial damage, leaving the car in a condition now officially deemed  unroadworthy. And me in a condition officially known as frantic.

Quite apart from the fact that I have just expensively replaced the headlights that now sit at some distance behind their accustomed position… and the fact that the bonnet will no longer open to check minor details like the engine and radiator… the thought of ‘no car’ was doing horrible things in both heart and gut.

Thankfully there was no question of liability and the process of getting her in for assessment was soon underway. The process that should have run smoothly has, so far, been a bit of a nightmare with various official bodies getting in the way. However, one way or another, the process is moving, even if the car isn’t.

She has been a valiant and steadfast companion on the road… and has looked after me well. If the car was as young and sprightly as she feels to me when she devours the miles with unbounded enthusiasm, there would now be no problem…she would simply go away to be repaired and come home good as new. As it is, once she is removed from my door, adventure, love, friendship and memory cease to have a place in her value and her destiny will be determined by cold, hard economics. Will the insurance people see her as viable to repair when, in monetary terms alone, she is worth very little? Her age will go against her and all I can do is wait and hope.

Sadly, her value on a calculator will never reflect her true worth to me. A process ruled by economics sees age as a defect, much as society often does with people. Once the shiny veneer of youth and beauty has been softened by time, our journey through it may leave us creaking from the many miles traveled, wearing the map of tears and laughter that  our adventures have written upon our faces. But like my little car, we will have seen a good deal on our travels… made memories… grown in knowledge and hopefully wisdom… and we may even begin to know the way home.

This entry was posted in Life, travel and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Age, the unhappy bunny and the Silver Bullet

1. Great post, Sue, enjoyed it very much

Big hugs

john

2. I understand you. I have similar attachment to a 17 year old SUV. I want to keep it until one of us dies. 💕 Good luck with the insurance.

3. newsferret says:

I know what it feels like. This side hope to get ours back tomorrow. Fortunately the claim is against the other party’s insurance.

4. Mary Smith says:

Oh, Sue, I feel for you. My car is really ancient but she still goes beautifully. We had a nasty experience when the driver of a flat bed truck drove into her. I came out of the supermarket with a bar of chocolate and noticed the car was all down on one side – oh no, I thought, a puncture. Then I saw the young man hovering in front of the driver’s side and when he moved away I saw the extent of the damage – the whole wing, plus the car had been shunted so the wheels were all out of alignment. Nice young man said he was very, very sorry and he would sort out all out. I am so glad he did because if it was an insurance job my car would have been written off. Worse, I discovered shortly afterwards when I went to renew my road tax online that I had not had its MOT done so I’d have been in serious trouble.
    Good luck. I hope your Silver Bullet survives and you have many more miles of motoring.

5. Yet another parallel in our uniquely parallel lives–I too have a beloved vehicle known as the ‘Silver Bullet.’

6. Aw 😦 Beautiful post. I have a blue minivan like that. ❤

7. socialbridge says:

Poor you! It’s a horrible situation, especially when there is a strong level of attachment. Hope all resolves soon.

8. Susan Scott says:

WI can understand your attachment to that beauty…many more adventurous miles on your travels🚕🚕

9. Deborah Jay says:

Oh I feel for you – I’ve been in that situation, where the car is worth so much more to you than it’s current market value. Sadly mine didn’t survive – I sincerely hope yours does.

10. Garry still adores his little yellow 2002 Pontiac Sunbird. She is no good in snow, so she is parked until spring frees her for the road, on the snowy grass off the side of the driveway. She’s still a dependable vehicle, though her “book value” is nil. Yet she runs. In all her years and miles, she has never had a serious problem. More dependable than newer cars which have come and gone. I think your Silver Bullet is lovely. Drive safe!

I knew it was a bad idea getting attached to a car… I never did until the MR2… and the demise of my MR2 was an awful wrench. Now the Bullet is sitting outside all forlorn … driveable but illegal to drive in her condition 😦

• Garry got his little yellow baby back on the road when she threatened to pack it in. It cost a few bucks to do it, but he REALLY likes that car. And he hates the way new cars look … not that we could afford a new anything …

It was also a fiscal choice: fix the old one or do without a second car. We fixed it. Found a cheap place to repair it, which helped.

I’d have done pretty much anything to save the MR2 too… but she died way too expensively, far away from home.

• That’s a pity. Maybe you can find one just like her, but it better condition. I know that eventually Garry and the Yellow Bird will have to part ways. Nothing lasts forever (but they SHOULD last forever!) … so eventually, he will have no choice. He still wants a completely impractical OLD Mercedes sports convertible. He doesn’t like the new ones. It’s not the impossible dream, but what would we do with it in the winter????

11. I can sympathise entirely as I seem to get far too attached to my wheels 🙂

If something was fit for purpose before some idiot ruined it, that’s what should matter, not how old!

13. noelleg44 says:

Fingers crossed, Sue, I am also attached to my car (an eight year old hybrid Prius with 100K + miles) and can’t imagine life without her. She also has a name: Elektra. Here’s hoping the Silver Bullet can be rescued. Seems like it would be worth it to you in ters of general mental well-being!

14. I hope the poor Silver Bullett survives. A good companion vehicle I hard to find.

15. Eliza Waters says:

Sad that we get so attached to things. I hate the process of getting a new car and have managed to own only four in the past 40 years. I get my money’s worth out them, that is for sure. Hope all turns out smoothly – whichever way it goes.

16. adeleulnais says:

i`m so sorry to hear that. I hope the insurance will cover her repairs. We are very attached to our car “Nori” for some of the same reasons.