North by north-east

P1260653

There were buzzards, kestrels and kites, it seemed, marking every mile as I drove north on Wednesday, just watching the road from tree and fence. I may have been travelling alone, but I was not going to feel lonely with so many feathered watchers. I took it as a good sign for the trip… not that I needed much encouragement to feel positive about heading northwards again! It seems ages since I had driven these roads, yet in reality, it is onlyΒ a couple of monthsΒ since my last journey. Still, that’s a long time without time off… no wonder I was as excited as a child as the landscape seemed to open its wings in welcome.

P1260656

Reaching Derbyshire with an hour to spare, I turned down a hitherto unexplored lane and found myself in a limestone valley that could, with every twist in the road, have served as anything from the backdrop to a spaghetti western or a lunar landscape… though in one place, the hillside has been quite clearly labelled to avoid confusion. It is a country of contrasts and my only complaint is the lack of safe places to park and explore or take photos on these twisting tracks barely wide enough for one car in places.

P1260654

The detour allowed me to retrace the path of many of the adventures we have shared in this area over the past few years. Snow still iced the hills as I drove the final stretch to Sheffield over now-familiar ground with a growing sense of coming home… and the knowledge that, somewhere beyond the morning, my own moors would be waiting too.

P1260659

By the time I reached my destination, the sun was dipping towards the horizon, bathing the hills in softness and gold that mirrored the gilded pathway dawn had blazed across the clouds. I had done nothing but drive and drink in the beauty… as if I remained stationary in the car as it unfolded around me… yet the world had changed from the mundane to the magical… and I take this as a good omen for the week to come.

P1260658

This entry was posted in adventure and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to North by north-east

a promising beginning, Sue. I love your pioneering spirit!

2. It looks very beautiful and promising.

3. Beautiful post Sue πŸ˜€

4. Mary Smith says:

Lovely, Sue and I’m looking forward to future posts on your adventures.

5. noelleg44 says:

So beautiful. It’s rare that I get to drive through lightly populated countryside but there’s always an aaahhhh when I do Thanks for taking me along on your trip…

6. Can hardly wait to drink in some of the beauty of that land ❀

7. Judy Martin says:

Such gorgeous countryside. πŸ™‚

8. C.E.Robinson says:

Sue, another beautiful sunset! Your countryside is so tranquil! Happy Sunday! Elizabeth

9. Deborah Jay says:

Beautiful pictures, and so eloquently described. Makes me itch to drive north again, though I’m only ever passing through, on my way to Scotland.

10. Eliza Waters says:

Ah, so much space to breathe! πŸ™‚

11. dgkaye says:

Simply beautiful inspiration Sue. *Note I had to find my way over here ONCE AGAIN, because I noticed I had no blog updates from you AT ALL for a week now. It says I’m following you, yet I get no post 😦 I also noticed I didn’t receive Teagan’s or Sally’s posts either 😦

12. BunKaryudo says:

It looks a lovely part of the world. That was an impressively clear sky too.

13. Stunning scenery as always Sue, and a beautiful pace of narrative βœ¨πŸ’•βœ¨

14. macjam47 says:

Your photos are breathtakingly beautiful.