Fetch

cold 002

“You’re not a Bird, Anu, you’re a Dog! And it’s not a game, this birth and death business,  it’s serious stuff. Do you understand?”

Anu nods sagely, turns, trots off to the flower pot, selects a Ball of Power, returns and drops the Ball of Power at my feet.

“Hopeless!”

Anu ignores my negativity and commences his millennia old adoration of the Ball of Power, crouching on his forelegs, still eyeing the Ball, as he shuffles backwards in primed and primal expectation of its wondrous flight.

“I’ve just worked out the game of ‘fetch’.”
“Oh, really?”
“Yes really, the Ball of Power is… Love. And no matter how hard you try to get rid of it. It just keeps coming back to you.”

The Ball of Power flies through the air. Quick as lightning Anu leaps skyward, catches it in his jaws, lands with a thud and proudly trots back to me to again lay it at my feet.

“You’re a clever Bird-Dog, Anu, aren’t you boy?”

Extract from Giants Dance, Stuart France and Sue Vincent

This entry was posted in Books, Dogs, Giants Dance, Love and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Fetch

1. olganm says:

I’m at the moment looking after two dogs and one of them definitely loves the ball game (I’m getting better at throwing too). Anu is very clever indeed. Beautiful thought. Have a great week.

Reblogged this on Anita Dawes & Jaye Marie and commented:
    …and you have to let it go, to realise just how strong it is…

3. vronlacroix says:

That’s a perceptive idea!

4. adeleulnais says:

I loved this. It illustrates our dog Dante so well. Today already he has knocked over a flower pot indoors because he was trying to retrive his ball that was behind the sofa. He didnt want to bark because he loves us so much and didnt want to break our peace. (Well thats my interpretation anyways lol)

5. Eliza Waters says:

So the male version of Ani, is Anu? I’m confused!

6. The iconic tennis ball strikes again!

7. macjam47 says:

They never give up. My son’s black lab greets me at the door with a tug toy or a ball every time I go over there. While I’m playing with my granddaughter, Riley keeps nudging me. Come on Josie, you have to share Grammie.

8. noelleg44 says:

A power ball of Love – what cool things Ani teaches!

9. Pingback: Notes from a small dog – The Princess and the Pea | Sue Vincent – Daily Echo