Normal?

hoar cross mushroom fairy ring (90)There are certain things we learn in order to live as part of a society that has, at least, the potential to live in harmony. There are orderly patterns that make up our lives, dictated by everything from our natural biology and emotions, to societal pressures and the necessities of survival. To live a normal life is to adhere to those patterns.

Yet, it is seldom those who do so who achieve greatness in any field. It is the rule-breakers, the mavericks, the innovators; it is those who use the imagination to create… it is those ordinary people who end up living extraordinary lives who change the world and the way we see it.

Some actively pursue fame and fortune, bringing all their drive to bear upon the task in hand. Others find a different path leads them away from the security of their own normality and they may find themselves blinking in an unexpected spotlight. For most of us though, ‘normality’ is the path we tread.

Or is it? How many of us fit the accepted mould of ‘normality’ and what is it anyway? The outer life may have the steady job, the marriage, car, dog and …2.4 children? That .4 has never struck me as ‘normal’ in any way… average, perhaps, but not what you would call normal… How is slightly less than half a child …? The mind boggles…

heather 2015 derbyshire, higger tor, beeley circle, edensor, bak 102

But what about the inner life? Do you dream? Do you imagine? Do you wish and shape and change your world with every passing thought? Do you look at the stars and wonder? Imagination knows no bounds and creates its own normality… which may be far from the mundane outer world in which many of us must live. And a far cry from some arbitrary normality which refers more to a mathematical average. We are none of us ‘normal’… we are unique.

Those who break free of the accepted norm of the workaday world may find a rocky path ahead, with steep ascents, potholes, uneven surfaces and many twists and turns… but away from the concrete and asphalt is where the wildflowers grow and where wonder awaits over every horizon.

The road that carries us through the realms of necessity can be hard, straight and narrow. That is only part of our lives and we are free to break every limit within the realms of mind… and sometimes imagination spills flowers in our path.

heather 2015 derbyshire, higger tor, beeley circle, edensor, bak 089

For Colleen’s Writer’s Quote Wednesday and Ronovan’s BeWoW

This entry was posted in Photography and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to Normal?

‘Normal’ is not a state I’m happy with, even if the alternative is rough going at times. Life is so much better when you step off the beaten track…

2. Pingback: Normal? | oshriradhekrishnabole

3. Loved this, Sue. And how very true. 😄

4. adeleulnais says:

i do love your posts, they make me think which is a good thing. I have never been tagged with the “normal” label. All through childhood, teenage years, which was very hard when you just want to fit in. Onto adulthood and now I`m at a point in my journey where I feel very comfortable with not being judged as normal. Have reblogged this thank you Sue.

I don’t think ‘normal’ ever entered my life much really… there was very little that could be classed as ‘normal’ about my childhood. The teenage years were about as close as it got…very briefly 😉

5. adeleulnais says:

Reblogged this on firefly465 and commented:
    i love this post and believe me Im happier seeing the flowers and stopping to smell them.

6. Normal is just so overrated. That paved road is safe, but I’ll take the flowers any day, as well as the weeds. 🌺 🌻 🌹 🌷 You can’t appreciate one without the other.

7. BunKaryudo says:

I’m uniquely unexceptional, perhaps. 🙂

8. Judy Martin says:

I am not sure many of us fit into the ‘normal’ category! I am pretty sure that I don’t! Love those photos Sue 🙂

9. Kim says:

I wanted to be normal but life didn’t let me. Wonderful post.

10. Your words are so lovely and the quote speaks to me of taking the road less traveled. I love stumbling upon the wildflowers! As usual, your writing speaks to me! Thanks, Sue for such beautiful thoughts and prose! ❤

11. Val Boyko says:

Love this piece and its perspective Sue!

12. Éilis Niamh says:

Reblogged this on The Sound of What Happens and commented:
    Beautiful post from Sue Vincent. Normal is a very unhelpful concept. Would you dare to live where the wildflowers grow? I am still undecided myself… but I take the question quite seriously.

13. Éilis Niamh says:

I love this post, Sue. 🙂 I also completely agree with you, that 0.4 of a child has always bothered me, never seemed right… 🙂 Which 0.4 do you get to keep? … No sorry it’s just wrong, very wrong. QED for why averages when it comes to human beings are creepy and defy common sense.

14. Eliza Waters says:

‘Normal’ is always a term that has rankled, because I doubt its existence. “Average’ is more acceptable. But as a lifestyle, it can be rather boring! 😉

15. What a wonderful piece, Sue, (bonny pink heather n’all).

I totally agree…what, after all is normal, we are each unique in our own ways and therefore would never truly fit in with society’s version of normal, however much many people try to. Its all just smoke and mirrors designed to distract, dumb-down and generally dissuade us from becoming what we are all capable of becoming.

I trod the narrow path though life for many, many long, hard years. Worked hard, (two jobs at the same time at one point), and raised a family that still make me proud to this very day.

All that changed in 2008 when my health took a serious and unexpected tumble which brought my working life to an end. During this period I spent many long days in a lonely hospital bed reassessing my life and its priorities…’pausing for thought’ as they say.

Since then, my path has actually opened up, as my passion for writing has become my life and, in reality, my connection to the outside world. That world, via my blog, social media, my novels and poetry etc., has blown wide open to amazing and previously unthought of dimensions, none of which would have happened if the events of 2008 and beyond, had not occurred.

I’m not a religious person and I don’t believe in fate or destiny, as such, but who knows. As one door closes…another opens and I am now enjoying doing what, in hindsight, I wish I could have done 30 years ago and who knows where I would have been now?

D.

16. I doubt what people think of as “normal” really exists. If we actually knew the thoughts of others, we’d probably find they’re anything but the supposed “normal”. 🙂 — Suzanne

17. FlorenceT says:

Well, this post speaks to me… one gets so used to the asphalt 🙂 to not step back on is a conscious state.

18. You have described me to a tee :o), and I thought I was the black sheep in my family, when all this time I have been the leader. What great news for me. Love your photos and I always take the back roads too. Marvelous!!!

19. Pingback: #Writer’s Quote Wednesday & #BeWoW – The Weekly Wrap-Up from 1/6/16 – Silver Threading

20. Miriam says:

What a wonderful post. Thank you.

21. Great post! Loved the quote, pictures––everything. 🙂