A blank page

It is ten o’clock at night and, having been up since five as usual, the blank page is staring at me with something akin to mockery. The post is due out in the morning and is, as yet, unwritten. Even worse… I haven’t had chance to think about what to write. The only thing to do is start; what then comes will be as much a surprise to me as to any reader.

That is the way I prefer to write, listening to the dictates of imagination, itself a blank page upon which we can write absolutely anything. Some writers plot every twist in a story, others just have the vaguest idea and write to see where the words lead them. Either way, their tale is born first in the imagination and, no matter from where it takes its inspiration, it can never have taken quite that form before. Writing and reading are an endless source of surprise and a constant reminder that we can revel in wonder.

It is an endless source of delight that within the same imagination worlds can be born within a grain of sand, caterpillars can talk and dragons discourse in iambic pentameter. We do not question their reality, because, within the imagination anything is possible. Their reality is their own and defined by their being, not the cold rules of science and probability.

We never know, from one moment to the next, what will happen within the landscape of the mind. It is an infinite playground, presenting amazement to the inner eye that looks on without so much a flicker of disbelief. What the imagination gives us is accepted without question for what it is, in much the same way as we viewed the world as children; a world where fairies could wait at the bottom of the garden and countries could be found beyond the wardrobe door.

It is only as we grow up that we begin to accept a world that tells us such things cannot exist. Our beliefs are constrained by the boundaries of a reality determined by physics and consensus. Yet the imagination admits no such restriction. It is the greatest freedom we have and a treasure available to all.

And imagination never grows old … or grows up.

P1050588

For Ronovan’s BeWoW and Colleen’s Writer’s Quote Wednesday.

This entry was posted in fantasy, Life, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to A blank page

1. I work much the same way

2. Éilis Niamh says:

I for one happily and respectfully decline to accept that at least some such things do not exist. My day to day has physics in it no matter what’s going on, (physics is pretty mystical in itself too!) and much more exists than might meet a skeptical eye. 🙂

Oh I entirely agree that physics is magical, Éilis and in a universe where thought can influence matter according to the quantum theorists. I wonder how much the boundaries of perceived reality are set by our combined disbelief.

• Éilis Niamh says:

An interesting question. Perhaps only to the extent that you identify with such a collective “us” as a disbeliever yourself, or believe such disbelief holds sway over you anyway. For me, I don’t believe in something else. I believe that there is something else, and it is my experience of what most disbelieve that proceeded the change in my belief system. Granted such experiences have been a part of my life since I was very very small… and yes I have had the experience of being in the room with a disbeliever who could not see the people from the other side who were with us plain as day to me. What someone deems impossible cannot manifest as an apparent feature of their perception of reality.

3. Love your closing lines. Great and highly quotable.

4. Pingback: A blank page | oshriradhekrishnabole

5. I think we all are like this. Days went on when nothing is there to write but in the mind we have full of things. To find some choices of words to pick for the story or entry, sometimes can be mind blogging.

You what I hate the most? When too many times, often enough I have a great line or words in the mind and I forgot it to bring my mini-journal with me??? Hah! That happened too many times. One time I was repeating the same thing in mind on the way back home on the bike and throw my bicycle on the ground, rushed into the study and write everything quickly on a piece of paper before I forget it all! LOL

I am strange … hehehe …

6. And thank goodness it doesn’t. 🙂

Reblogged this on Anita Dawes & Jaye Marie and commented:
    I would love to believe Picasso, what a life we would have…

8. michnavs says:

I enioyed reading your post… and even more enjoyed the exchange of ideas from.different bloggers….ahh the world.is filled with beautiful minds..

9. “imagination never grows old … or grows up.” So thankful for that. Well expressed, Sue.

10. And so on the blank page appeared a very cool post…like magic. Loved this, Sue. The imagination is a wonderful place.

11. You did quite with with a blank page! Inspiring!

12. Imagination is such an amazing part of what we do. Some days I just have to let it rest. I can’t force it. Other days, it flows just like a faucet and I can’t turn it off. Excellent choice, Sue. ❤

13. noelleg44 says:

Thank HEAVEN imagination never grows old – if it did I never would have started writing after I retired. I love the fact I do not plan out my books, but just let them happen as I write along. Then I am amazed at where my brain and my imagination have taken me.

14. Imagination growing up?? Perish the thought.

Great piece, Sue. 😊

15. blondeusk says:

Great post! I work the same way 🙂

16. Helen Jones says:

I write this way too – with just the seed of an idea, letting the story take me, the characters telling me what will happen next. And when you let it flow, the connections that appear are surprising.

17. Helen Jones says:

Yes, that’s very true 🙂 Once you open yourself up, amazing things can happen…

18. Pingback: #Writer’s Quote Wednesday & #BeWoW – The Weekly Wrap-Up from 12/2/15 | Silver Threading

19. It is a wonder where the imagination takes us, great quote Sue, and beautifully put. 🙂