One step…

dscf1123

I was going through the files and came across a picture that seemed perfect for Colleen’s Writer’s Quote Wednesday. It is very pertinent at present, as my son opens a new chapter of adventure in his story… which inevitably sets off a chain reaction in my own life too. We never really know where the road is going to lead us as we face the mysteries of tomorrow.

It seemed appropriate too as we approach September and the Silent Eye’s Harvest of Being weekend at Ilkley, where, in what seems like a complete lapse from sanity, I crossed these same stepping stones blindfold. That was an exercise in trust, a very visible one, guided by my two fellow directors, Steve and Stuart.

The trust goes deeper than friendship with these two, but there is a trust deeper still that carries me forward, one foot in front of the other, every day. Even when things get rough.

With my eyes covered, my usual mode of moving through the world was taken with my vision. Strangely enough, the blindfold also took the fear. I no longer had any other options than to trust and move forward or refuse a challenge I, myself, had chosen. I was responsible only for my own actions… all I could do was be aware and respond to the hand and voice that guided.

Some stones are far apart, worn and slippery. The water gushes between them and, even under normal circumstances, the step is a stretch for legs as short as mine. Here I was almost hauled across. My fingers, I recall, crushed and pained by the strength that pulled me to safety. Most gaps were attainable… but only by stretching forward , leaning into the air above the water until my foot touched stone.

As an analogy for the way life can seem to drag us onward over rough ground, or demand a leap of faith into an unknown future, it worked beautifully. As an illustration of how serenely we can travel through such times by trusting that the universe knows what it is doing… even if we cannot see it at all… it was perfect.

If “a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step”, then the distance decreases with every step forward… no matter how difficult the terrain. If we walk it with trust in a purpose unknown, but known to be of value, then our feet do not resist and may find a smoother way.

harvest being 2014 214

This entry was posted in England, essence, Events, Photography and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to One step…

1. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    BE CAREFUL ON THOSE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! 😀

2. blondieaka says:

Well Done..phewww…you rock…I don’t if I would have been that brave 🙂

3. Darcy says:

You are braver than I am on all levels!!!! I admire that!

4. Reblogged this on Barrow Blogs: and commented:
    Trust taken to a personal extreme.

5. Without sight? Hmm – not sure I could have done this,Sue.Jx

6. Reblogged this on Smorgasbord – Variety is the spice of life and commented:
    Would you be blindfolded and led over slippery stones above a weir.. well Sue Vincent undertook the challenge with a little help from her friends.. best foot forward.

7. oshrivastava says:

Reblogged this on oshriradhekrishnabole and commented:
    Slowly disciples Ray brother,,,

8. stevetanham says:

Reblogged this on stevetanham and commented:
    Sue (and the rest of us) recalls one of the most intense and dramatic moments of the Silent Eye’s history . . . was that only a year ago?

I envy you your sense of adventure, and the friends you journey with. Your life is richer than most, I think…

10. merrildsmith says:

Gosh–I would have been terrified!
    I love your final paragraph.

11. Beautiful piece, beautiful scenery, beautiful and true message….. but you’d have to have a gun at my back to get me across those stepping stones! No….juts NO!

12. noelleg44 says:

I can’t resist saying it: You rock! 😉
    We have had a program for incoming medical students called the “ropes course” where the students are challenged with a series of physical activities that require trust and sharing. Sort of the same thing – teaches you a lot about yourself and helps you bond with the people on whom you are relying. I like yours better, because the setting is so gorgeous!

13. Eliza Waters says:

HUGE demonstration of trust, faith and belief. You’ve got chutzpah, girl! 😉

14. You are simply amazing, Sue! Bravo. Me… I am a chicken-sh#t. No way! ❤

15. Wow, Sue! How wonderful to have 2 people you can trust so implicitly!
    Congrats on completing the challenge.

16. macjam47 says:

Blindfolded! There is no way! I’m more like Colleen.

17. Great piece on trust, but I’m one of those who would not want to cross blindfolded. Looking back on the number of accidents I’ve had, I probably would have fallen and taken my helpers with me. 🙂

18. What a wonderful post. In a way we live our lives blindfolded, for we never truly know what’s right around the corner and how instantly everything can change. (So interesting how in a later post you were challenged to predict the future :-). It speaks to the importance of trust in those companions who walk with us and hold our hands.

We do… and I hadn’t missed the comical connection there with the crystal ball 🙂 I’m not at all sure I would want to know the future..it is enough to trust it will be as it should be. And hopefully be walked with those we trust to hold our hands.

19. Pingback: Writer’s Quote Wednesday Weekly Wrap-Up from 8/19/15 | Silver Threading

20. dgkaye says:

Beautiful analogies and metaphors here Sue. A good testament to releasing anxiety and overwhelming moments. 🙂