How To Force A Redirect To The Classic WordPress.com Editor Interface

Reblogged from diaryofdennis.com

If you like the old editor for new posts on WordPress, like most folk I know, or use a desktop/laptop and not a phone or tablet to write your blog… you need to read this!

A simple, VERY simple, fix to keep the classic editor ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you Dennis and The Penguin!

How To Force A Redirect To The Classic WordPress.com Editorย Interface

This entry was posted in Blogging, writing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to How To Force A Redirect To The Classic WordPress.com Editor Interface

1. Thank you. I hate the new editor, and have to go to my dashboard to find the old editor now. I’m sure the dashboard will go away next.

Reading Dennis’ article it does seem as if the choice will be removed… but this should circumvent it with any luck at all ๐Ÿ™‚

• I use a device exclusively, and still don’t like any of the upgrades. They’re going to force them upon us, and I find learning to cope is a better long term solution for me. I could hack things together today, but what happens when the next “improvement” comes along?

I use the desktop to write … and while the new interface is simple enough, it is a pain to work with and I find it limiting. But you are right that the next batch of ‘improvements’ will undermine whatever we do now.

2. I use windows live writer to edit posts but since the recent purchase of a new laptop and the need to install a newer version of it I’m now in a blogging crisis because it just will not post anything properly! Theme change may help but I don’t want to have to use the windows 7 laptop forever more just to post my blogs!!!! Nightmare!! I am losing the will to live battling with it till the early hours to no avail!

Oh that does sound a nightmare.. I hate having to fight my way through stuff I barely understand ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

• It’s become the editor from hell Sue! I nearly deleted my whole blog last night and gave up blogging for good but in the cold light of a nice steamy cup of tea lol that seemed a bit drastic! I mean…no more “small dog” to brighten up my laptop for example? Unthinkable!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. Thanks for this, Sue. The new editor is almost entirely inaccessible to people who can’t use a mouse. Shame on wordpress for not only ignoring the majority of its customers’ needs but refusing to make its new editor functional for people with disabilities. I sincerely appreciate you reblogging the post, I’ve already made the suggested changes. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. The bafflement for all of us, is WHY are they doing this to us? Why not let people choose? Since both the old and new exist in the system, why not let those who like the old one use it? Why are they so determined to FORCE us to use a piece of software we do not like and does not serve our needs? It doesn’t make sense. If they take away the old editor, I’m done. I’ve tried to use the new editor, but can’t. If they don’t want me, it’s not like I’m making money from this. The loss is, in the end, theirs. We are the money generators by attracting traffic to WordPress. If what they want is to force us to find a new home, I’m convinced one will appear. Nature and the Internet abhor a vacuum.

I haven’t found a platform…so far… that I like as much as WP, but there are so many changes going on that simply do not meet the needs and/or of the community at present it makes you wonder how long that will remain true.

• I figure someone will jump in to fill the void. Or I sure HOPE so. I’ve been looking at Medium, but it doesn’t seem quite right. Yet. If WP is bound and determined to take all the fun out of blogging, I’ll eventually oblige them by quitting. I don’t have the stomach to battle their corporate stupidity.

I simply don’t see the logic behind a blog hosting business ousting its bloggers. Unless, of course, it is all geared to having us purchase their packages to get what we want.

5. Thank you! I much prefer the old editor!

6. Thank you, Sue, for sharing this information. I took his suggestions a month or so ago and bookmarked the “Stats” page and a few others so that I could bypass the ‘new and improved’ WP setup and use the old editor that I found to be much more user friendly and more encompassing in the info it provided. Too bad that WP didn’t take my comments to heart and retain the former setup.

7. Thank you so much for this, Sue. I just followed the directions in the post, and then re-blogged the post with the fix for my those in my community who may not also follow you. I really appreciate you hosing this conversation on your site. I will be so glad to never have to watch the Be Bop Boo bubbles on my screen any more! Cheers, Sue! I appreciate you so much ๐Ÿ˜‰ โค

8. Pingback: TALKING IMAGES 14 – HOW TO FORCE A REDIRECT TO THE CLASSIC WORDPRESS.COM EDITOR INTERFACE – PLEASE REBLOG THIS POST | FATman Photos

9. Adrian Lewis says:

Sue, I’ve put out something about this on my blog, referencing your and Dennis’s posts – thanks for sharing it! I certainly would like to hold onto the Classic Editor – I’ve already written to WordPress pleading with them not to alter its excellent functionality. Adrian ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Thanks, Sue. I normally just swear a bit and make whatever adjustment is necessary, but I honestly cannot figure out what is “better” about that new editor. OR what was wrong with the classic one. Now they’re trying not to give us a choice. Oh, well. I’ll try to implement the workaround and see what I can manage! Appreciate the help LOTS!! Thanks to you and to Dennis! ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll be clinging on to the old editor in my best reactionary mode as long as I can ๐Ÿ™‚

• I do not believe I can continue using their “new improved” editor. It’s difficult for text. It’s impossible for graphics.

It isn’t good, isn’t it?

• What baffles me is why they can’t just leave it as a choice? Why do they feel obliged to bully us into using software that gets in our way instead of helping? If the intent is to drive us away, they are doing a good job. If the idea is to get us to pay, I see no evidence that this is going to happen. It failed for Yahoo, Gmail, and Facebook. It will fail for WordPress. I love blogging, but I am at my maximum pay out. They get as much of my money as I am able to afford for a hobby that yields no income. And I do not think they can succeed as a business-only platform. It’s not business that bring traffic. It’s our entertaining little sites with all the curious and odd stuff to read that brings people into the WordPress Universe. So whatever their intention, alienating and pushing away the people who drive their profitability is a bizarre corporate goal.

No, I couldn’t afford to pay any more than I do for the current upgrades…and as you said, there would be other platforms. I happen to like it here and won’t be best pleased if the community is drowned out.

• I was hopeful in the beginning that they would see the light, realize they were ruining a good thing, but apparently they hear nothing, see nothing. They’ve decided what they want and nothing is going to convince them to do something else. I’ll hang on as long as I can, but it isn’t up to me — or you. We are all in the wind.

Nothing stays still for long and we bend or get blown, as always.

• I’ll move on, as I have before. I had hoped this would outlast the other places I’ve been, but apparently not. I hate losing all the investment in building Serendipity, but hey, that’s life. I’ll survive.

Let’s hope it won’t come to that for any of us.

• I hope not. I’ll never give up posting — somewhere — but I don’t think I have it in me to rebuild from scratch. I don’t want to. If they stop making things increasingly difficult, I might be able to hang on. If not, c’est la vie. I’ll be very sad, but something will happen and the world will continue to turn for me and all of us.