Chasing sunsets

november hawk orc 074

I have had the delight of company this weekend. Arriving Friday there have been 48 hours of almost non-stop talking, across a range of subjects as vast as the ocean. There may, possibly, have been a number of small pubs and a small dog who seemed to think it her bounden duty to keep the balls constantly in play. There has also been a huge amount of laughter, most notably in the midst of a very serious and beautiful piece we were recording.

Well, it was serious till my co-conspirator leaned close to the mike and cackled softly in my ear… an unexpected moment that set me off giggling.

november hawk orc 072

It was, apparently, contagious, and after several abortive attempts… one where I didn’t even make it past the first word without howling with laughter, we abandoned the chapter and left it till last.

My son was in charge of the session, sighing at the giggling mess on his living room floor and doing a superb job of trying to keep a pair of laughing idiots in check.

november hawk orc 075

It had been a lovely day… we had begun with a planned visit to my son and followed swiftly with an unplanned excursion, the three of us, to ORC and the place we call Hawk Hill. Those familiar with our book, The Initiate, will know that these places are very special to us and it was a real joy to be able to share them with Nick.

november hawk orc 061

The weather was cold, the light beautiful… a perfect afternoon to be out armed with a camera… my son and I vying, laughingly, for the best shots until the light began to fade and we retired for a rather late pub lunch.

Timing was perfect, however, and as we headed homeward the light on the autumnal colours was spectacular… and as I pulled over to get a shot of the trees, I glanced in the mirror and saw the sun setting over the hills.

november hawk orc 090

That, in itself, would have been beautiful enough for anyone.. but I caught a glimpse through the village streets of the colours and set off chasing the sunset, seeking a place where we could watch the magic. The display we were treated to was simply breathtaking, parked facing the western horizon over the Vale as the sun went down in fire.

Returning we managed to finish the recording then we left my son to his camera and headed home. Altogether a lovely day.

november hawk orc 087

Now, after a late night, three more country inns and another lovely day, my ‘company’ is on his way home and I have a weekend’s worth of work to catch up on… and I am leaving it till tomorrow. I shall curl up with a warm dog and a film and finish the evening in a gentle fashion. Somehow it feels like the right thing to do πŸ™‚

november hawk orc 101

This entry was posted in Ancient sites, England, Friendship, Landscape, Life, Love and Laughter, Photography, Sacred sites, The Initiate and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Chasing sunsets

1. Robert Jones says:

Reading about your weekend and seeing the picture of a glorious sunset brings light to my breakfast on a Monday morning, thank you Sue

2. ksbeth says:

i so love to hear about your laughter and sharing with your son ) who would have ever imagined, not that long ago, that this would happen on this day with the two of you together? i am so happy to read all of this. what a day to remember. the universe is endlessly amazing and abundant in its gifts.

Just as another human being, Beth, I would enjoy delight in Nick’s company…. he and Alex, my younger son, are genuinely delightful people with a sense of the ridiculous.. I love them as my sons, but I really like them as people. Add my friend into the equation and you have a real recipe for fun.

Yet as you say, not so long ago this day could not have happened. not did we know if it could ever happen again… Miracles are not always the big things that happen with a bang and a flash. πŸ™‚

3. Ziggy Mang says:

If there was water, this could be like Big Sur

4. You caught an excellent sunset, Sue. πŸ™‚

5. What a glorious sunset full of color and light. Am happy to hear it was a love filled, laughter filled weekend, Sue. Best wishes, WG

6. fransiweinstein says:

I love sunsets. Gorgeous photos btw does sound like you had the perfect weekend. Good for you:).

7. quirkyjazz says:

OH MY GOSH! How lovely those sunset photos are!

8. Adrian Lewis says:

Good pictures and story, Sue. I especially like the top shot, what a lovely country lane, but you could lose the empty sky on the right – make the right side of the right tree trunk the right edge of the frame, it will concentrate interest more on the beautiful lane. The close up of autumn leaves, with more autumn colour behind, is good too. Hope my comment is useful – and that you’re fine! Adrian

Hi Adrian,
      Yes, fine thanks… busy with the Glastonbury talks for next year as well as the April workshop and a variety of other stuff!

The shot was, I agree, badly framed and uploaded with no editing… a ‘competition’ shot with my son.. he leaning out of one car window with his camera while I leaned out the drivers side with mine.

He won πŸ™‚

He managed a far better perspective on the lane πŸ™‚

9. I am thrilled that my little story reminded you of this day. And a visit to Hawk Hill. It couldn’t be more appropriate. Thank you for sharing this with me. 😊