Birds of a feather

solo 002

That the birds were there first means little to Ani. It is, as far as she is concerned, her garden and she decides who gets to play in it. Apart from the stray babies, those she makes an exception for and will even call the cavalry to their rescue. There is no malice in her vociferous warnings to the feathered fiends who invade her space. In fact she grins all the time she is chasing them off.

The cat next door, on the other hand, stalks them silently, moving a whisker at a time, closing in for that final, fatal pounce.

bird 002

Me, on the other hand, I like birds. I love to hear them herald the morning as I wake, the first light washing the bedroom in pale colour. I love to watch them darting around the garden, or soaring in the blue above. They are creatures of grace and beauty who carry music within and rise above the landscape, seeing it with eyes other than my own. In quiet moments imagination lends me their wings and I can rise with them to greet the dawn.

solo 0311

The three of us watch the same sparrow on the fence from completely different viewpoints, with different emotions and imperatives fuelling our actions. I suppose we are simply following the dictates of our own species and nature. Yet these are neither inevitable nor unchangeable. There are many cats that never chase a bird. There are probably few dogs who warn them off quite so joyfully. And as a human being, I could simply ignore them, see them as a source of food or raw materials, or even through the eyes of myth and legend.

IMGP1351

The three of us are not so very different after all. It is a personality shaped by instinct and experience that impels our individual reactions to the birds every day. Ani sees them as both invaders to be warned away and playthings with which she can have fun. The cat I don’t know personally… for some reason Ani refuses that acquaintance… so I cannot say whether it is the thrill of the chase, or a quest for dinner that drives it. For me it is many things. Memories of being taught their names and stories as a child, the simple love of their beauty and the knowledge of the thread of life that binds us, associations that run deeper than the surface, perhaps.

flying solo 211

I remember my grandfather explaining a picture in a book to me, when I was very young, where the heart was weighed against the feather of truth. There is more to that than the simple lightness, for Horus, the Divine Child of the Egyptian faith, was depicted as a hawk and truth was a goddess with a feather in her hair. The Egyptians, indeed, had many birds associated with divinity, from the Benu bird, a symbol of rebirth, to the protective vulture goddess Nekhbet. Odin had his ravens, a story brought to life for me on a first visit to the Tower of London, observing their curiosity and intellect in action. Christianity has the Dove and the Pelican. Symbolism,  folklore and fairytales are littered with feathers.

gardenand stuff 4711

Experience shapes us in ways we often cannot see. The innate nature can be overridden by learned behaviours, habits and acquired reactions that may seem obvious to those looking on, but to which we ourselves are blind until something throws them into sharp relief. These habits can be both positive and negative, overcoming inner battles or seeing us lost in a sea of fears. Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference.

But we do not have to be a slave to our reactions, there is always that poised instant when we stand at the crossroads of choice and can break the cycle if we so will it and, to paraphrase the famous quotation, be the change we wish to see in ourselves.

This entry was posted in Dogs, Life, Love and Laughter, Photography, Spirituality, The Silent Eye and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Birds of a feather

1. Don says:

Such a life-giving post, Sue. Thank you.

2. ĽAdelaide says:

you, my friend, are a beautiful writer. birds for me, are nature’s gentle reminder to look up. a nd an eagle feather on my path is always a treasure. turkey feathers? well, i’m trying! xo

Thank you!
      I get mainly pigeon, blackbird and magpie feathers here.. though the kite feathers were a gift! Eagles we do not have in this area and they are few and far between in England. xx

3. I love these photos. Beautifully written.

4. Reblogged this on The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap and commented:
    If you love nature, birds, cats… this magnificently written prose is a wonderful read, filled with much wisdom and perspective.

5. ksbeth says:

what a gift to have the bird lore passed on to you.

I had a family and a grandfather who passed on much folklore, history, myth and legend as I was growing. It was always there. We walked the landscape and traced the stories in the hills and valleys, read the carvings in the rocks, learned the plants and the animals.
      An incredible gift, yes 🙂

6. Val Mills says:

What a lovely post. Thank you for brightening up our grey damp day here. Our old cat still sees birds as prey and food and is still able to take them by surprise.

I’m not sure Ani has grasped the meaning of stealth where the birds are concerned, Val.. the only thing she ever stalks is me when we are playing.. and she’d out-stealth any cat then!

7. I love birds. I love all of nature. Each specie of life along with its Creator is magnificent. Each life tells us another aspect of how to live and love and deal with challenges.
    Sweet post
    Shalom
    Yisraela

8. I love birds for their mystery and knowing eyes. You write beautifully and with such passion. I enjoyed reading this post.

9. Pingback: Birds on My Mind | symbolreader

10. elizabeth says:

I remember the Ravens of the Tower of London Sue. They were massive!
    These are all gorgeous photos. Wish I’d seen that one of the pigeon earlier, it would have been perfect for my silly story, Percy. 🙂

11. Sue Vincent says:

It is said that England will fall if the ravens ever leave the Tower.

12. LucyLiving says: